Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello

I just 'discovered' PI and think it's got some great tools, effect, filters especially for what I'm doing (promotional posters for childrens' recreational programs). I've been using Fireworks for years, so not brand new to the graphic world.

Question: How can I import a wmf (or other vector format) file into PI and retain it's 'vectorness'? When I go to print it out, (saved at 300ppi in a bmp or any other format), those vector graphics 'rasterize' and I get jagged edges.

When I use Fireworks, I convert the wmf to .ai (using Flash) and import the .ai into Fireworks (Firewords won't accept wmfs). After doing a few other things inside Fireworks (ungrouping, restroking, etc), am able to print out the imported graphic with crisp non-rasterized strokes.

Could someone enlighten me on how I can go this in PI?

My endearing gratitude for anyone who can help!

David
    IP

Hello

I just 'discovered' PI and think it's got some great tools, effect, filters especially for what I'm doing (promotional posters for childrens' recreational programs). I've been using Fireworks for years, so not brand new to the graphic world.

Question: How can I import a wmf (or other vector format) file into PI and retain it's 'vectorness'? When I go to print it out, (saved at 300ppi in a bmp or any other format), those vector graphics 'rasterize' and I get jagged edges.

When I use Fireworks, I convert the wmf to .ai (using Flash) and import the .ai into Fireworks (Firewords won't accept wmfs). After doing a few other things inside Fireworks (ungrouping, restroking, etc), am able to print out the imported graphic with crisp non-rasterized strokes.

Could someone enlighten me on how I can go this in PI?

My endearing gratitude for anyone who can help!

David
    IP

Although PI can open and import wmf, the anti-aliasing and transparency data are lost so you end up with a jagged non-anti-aliased image. It would be better if you generate a png or psd file from your vector app for importing into PI. Just make sure that the file is 24bit RGB.
    If you want to import closed vector shapes as vector files, you can save them as .ai files. Open PI then click on the 2D path tool. Select shapes/others so that the various preset shapes are displayed and click on the import button to import your ai file.
    I agree, PI's wmf and eps imports are pretty weak. Maybe it'll improve in the next versions.
    IP

Hi Grafixman

Yes, you have my gratitude. That did the trick. I also need to make sure I have everything set to 300ppi and set the appropriate size.

Thanks!

David
    IP

Grafixman is one smart cookie, and one of the most helpful folks around...
    IP