Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Comments on "About Xara Web Designer"

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I typed the three words netsi sledger XWD into google and your ex-link was the very first item in the list No Problem

The web is an open place whatever this forum may or may not be...

Thank you for your supporting words! :-) I agree the web is an open place - and so should Talkgraphics.com be. I have been a member since 2000 and support it, so suddently being moderated is not a nice experience....
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Ok Sten, I understand.
    So, if you do really want to exapand WD functionality some way, you may cont on my support.
    But I would ask you to keep the project (if it will take a look of an open project) on Talkgraphics, because I'm active here and it would be much easier to keep in touch this way.
    I will try to keep it within talkgraphics, but sometimes I spend perhaps 2 hours writing an article, and go from and to the computer while getting my ideas about how to write it. Sometimes it is more of an article and in such cases I think that a BLOG like my own seems like a better place to post it.

In such cases I do like I did with this moderated thread: Post on my BLOG and enter a link (which normally is not removed )
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

Yes, if you post links to the articles here I may follow them.
    John.

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

I am NOT a programmer of any kind. I am BARELY a designer.

For >>"ME"<< - XWD provides me with the greatest opportunity to show what I've decided to create. What I saw in my mind's eye. And put it on the web for all to see.

XWD fits what I need to do perfectly. I need no more than that. This is it.

If it turned out in the future that it no longer suited my needs. I would, at that point, look for a tool that did. There are more than enough other programs that provide the half-WYSIWYG design people keep talking about. Frontpage, Dreamweaver and GoLive are just a few I've seen.

They seem to give you the ability to put things where you want them AND edit the code and such.

I've used this example before.

I wanted a screwdriver. I bought one that works for me. You wanted a screwgun, you bought the same screwdriver I did. But now you keep going to the manufacturer of the screwdriver and asking them to turn it into the screwgun you want.

This would take away from what I wanted and needed. It would also drive up the price of the product I wanted because it would be loaded with features I don't need.

Maybe in the future there will be some kind of XWD Pro because they've figured out a way to import HTML and have it appear on screen or give the ability to tweak the code and have it show up in XWD. I don't know.

I do know that XWD fits my needs and I'm very happy with the way it works as well as the price they've asked for what they've provided.

Thank You again Xara for making something so cool.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris

Sten,

I agree that Xara has a unique opportunity with XWD, if they extend it beyond it's current rendition, and have been actively promoting that notion on this forum. I don't think that they will have to do it in a way the leaves the "creative-only" people behind. Broadening XWD's appeal to the "logical" side, is a good thing and doesn't have to be done at the expense of the "creative" side.

Perhaps you should copy and paste your blog post here so others will be more likely to read it and respond. It could generate more positive discussion, IMO...

Regards,

Steven...

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    reading such things I'm a one step from regretting that I actually did all this.
    John, you can be asured that 99% of the users here are more than happy with your effort developing solutions and tweaks for every task or problem coming up.

PLEASE keep up your great work - your posts (and of course those of a few others here) have already helped me a lot! Thank you.

Sten,
    Would you please remove my name from your BLOG article as requested.
    Striking out is not enough.

Most people would offer an apology for such a mistake, everyone makes them from time to time, but it appears that you don't think that you have even made one?

I was moderated. I feel sad and let down. What is this if not an open forum?
    Let down? Why.. What promises have been made to you?
    Open Forum: What does this mean to you? That you can say anything you like, even if it's completely erroneous?

@John (Covoxer)
    Please take any disparaging remarks (made by anyone at TG) regarding your work, your unfailing help or any similar comments about the Xara team as a whole, with a large grain of salt.
    You and your efforts are greatly appreciated and admired here. That's fact.

Edit: Sten I appreciate your subsequent recent changes to your blog article, however I still request that you remove my name - thanks
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 11 April 2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: dilute

John, like I said elsewhere, XWD is a great program but your help and your tweaks are bringing it alive! That's what the vast majority think I'm absolutely certain. All your hard work and patience is appreciated
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post

@John (Covoxer)
    Please take any disparaging remarks (made by anyone at TG) regarding your work, your unfailing help or any similar comments about the Xara team as a whole, with a large grain of salt.
    You and your efforts are greatly appreciated and admired here. That's fact.
    Ain't that the truth! Appreciated and admired. Period.

Now something about Xara Web Designer: I find it fun to work with and when I see the many postive reactions from others here at the forum, so do most here.

The program is so good, that it's actually quite easy to imagine it even better. Hence the many suggestions and feature requests, quite a few of which have already been implemented through Covoxer's tweaks (also called ‘drag-and-drop coding’ ).

I find it exciting to see how the developers try to put the technical part of web designing 'under the hood'. I am aware that some people are upset about this 'covering up' because -- as I understand it -- they see beauty and necessity in up-front, out-in-the-open coding and they present all sorts of arguments to make their point.

However interesting and valid these points may be, it seems that Xara’s WD development strategy aims to translate such issues into users-not-having-to-code solutions. That seems to be the challenge that Xara has set for itself and in doing so it evokes rather strong emotions: positive ones in those that finally see web designing becoming (more) accessible to them and negative ones in those who wish to continue to use coding as a/the main designing tool.