Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing pictures

Not sure if this a bug in my installation, but importing pictures into XWD works differently from XE Pro. Usually I set up the first image and then right drag to create as many copies as I want. I then go back to explorer and drag each image to replace it in the copied images. Unfortunately with XWD when I do this it updates all the images.

So at the moment I am having to import and size each image individually, I am sure that it is not supposed to wrok this way.

Suggestions please.

Kind regards

Martin

Default Re: Importing pictures

Hi Martin,

Not sure it's a bug - possibly just a result of Web Designers 'Repeating Objects' feature.

However, you can right-click each image and choose 'Optimize Photo'. Then you will be able to shift+drag from explorer to replace each of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftvalley
    Usually I set up the first image and then right drag to create as many copies as I want. I then go back to explorer and drag each image to replace it in the copied images. Unfortunately with XWD when I do this it updates all the images.
    In my first shot at dealing with multiple images in this way, I experienced the same problem. Replacing even one of the pictures, replaces them ALL!

I have yet to investigate further ... but when I do, I'll jump back in here and post. In the meantime, others might have some bright ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    I In the meantime, others might have some bright ideas.
    Did you miss post#2 Curtis?

No, I didn't miss it, Steve. I couldn't understand how optimizing one photo would separate it from the other [duplicate] instances. I assumed that you'd misunderstood the question (not very smart of me, huh . Having gone through your prescibed method, it does seem to work. It does seem like a strange technique ...

Your mention of "repeating objects" made me investigate to see if there was any name applied, like "repeatinghoto096.jpg", or something like that ... but, nope.

Thanks for the solution.

Duplicating an image is 'repeating' the original. That's how my logic works anyway.
    Optimizing an image makes it unique.

I did try right clicking the image and then importing by dragging and that seems to works. However, it is much more complicated that in Xara Extreme and also it means that I have subjected my image to another process that may (or may not) improve it. So I think that this is probably a 'fidget' that needs clearing up in the WD code.

Many thanks for all you help.
    I have another small issue that I will post sepaarately.

This isn't a bug, but intended functionality. Every thing in WebDesginer is geared-up to make use by a beginner user, with the supplied templates as easy as possible. Such a user would not expect to have to find and replace all instances of a photo in order to get (for example) a popup photo to work, so we default to replacing all instances of a photo.

The best solution for you is likely to be to hold the Ctrl and Shift keys down whilst dragging the replacement photos in, which disables the replace-all code.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke.Hart View Post
    hold the Ctrl and Shift keys down whilst dragging the replacement photos in, which disables the replace-all code.
    Excellent tip Luke!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    One for Nickydude's guide.