Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi Ed, your welcome...

Looking forward to viewing some worx...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gidgit:
    Wings3D is a giant amongst giants <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You're too funny.
    I have to agree, it's a great box modeling program, but oh boy, isn't making 3d graphics a lot more than just box modeling... You make it sound that Wings 3D is at the same level like Maya, Lightwave, Cinema 4D, XSI... get serious man I look at Wings 3D as nothing but a good addition to these programs, but nothing more. Go beyond the box modeling aspect of Wings 3D and it s u c k s big time. True or not?

I prefer Blender over Wings...
    Some may find the UI more difficult to handle but IMO, Blender is better than Wings (that is, in the free 3D programs)
    Of course, I don't have gidgit experience with Wings and my modelling skills are at a beginner stage. I've tried Wings before and found Blender to be what Im looking for in a "more complete" 3D program. The latest build (2.32) is amazing... Lots of new improvments and the game engine will be back in the 2.33 version (coming out soon). For beginners, I recommend
    the new user guide (on sale at the e-shop). Visit Blender3D.comto get more info.

danifou
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Go beyond the box modeling aspect of Wings 3D and it s u c k s big time. True or not? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no reason to go beyond that aspect with wings.

All the programs you mention are very expensive 3D production environments, Wings is a free mesh modeler that gives anyone with the desire to experience 3d modeling a tool to work with. Some folks produce some amazing models with it.

Gidgit is one of those folks.

As for you Mr. Finch, Welcome to Talk Graphics. Would you like to introduce yourself?

Hi Finch....

Sure there is alot more to 3D than boxmodeling, but after the initial idea is concieved it all begins with modeling the part/scene what have ya... right?

To which I don't really believe that one can go wrong by learning to model with Wings3d... It's free, easy to learn, and offers much headroom to advance with...

Coloring, rendering and animation apps are a dime a dozen for taking things further along the road of 3D, but when it comes to first modeling stuff it is pretty hard to beat Wings3D for the price and after all, one does need to model something first in order to render, right?