Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Auto Page Sizing

I will do that with the multiple pages. I saved the file to my thumb drive to bring to this computer at home for the weekend and of course MM didn't come over. I hate that. Don't know why that is.

Did anyone look at the file and view it as a page and get the same results of overrun text as I did? It does not look overrun while I am working on it. Only when I export it.

I'll redo it over the weekend since I do all my publishing from the house using FTP Pro. I like that software. I have the ground work done. It will fix my over run text issue but it is an issue.

Thanks for all your help on this. This is a wonderful community.
    Mrs. Debbie Hicks
    Ret AF, AD2H

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hi Debbie - I do see that text spillover. I've tried to figure out why unsuccessfully. Hopefully someone else can advise.

Regards, Ross

Debbie - to try to get to the bottom of your problem I tried to reduce the file down to the most basic display of the problem. I attach the .web file.

Can anybody figure out why the text isn't behaving in a wysiwyg manner as should be expected?

Regards, Ross
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here again we have a problem with text block being resized horizontally.
    The same issue was described in this thread: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=37533
    John.

Hi Debbie,

If you resized the text column with the Selector Tool that will cause strange over run text.

I copied the text to Notepad so I had it saved in plain text.

I deleted your text then used the Text Tool to draw a Text Area. I copied the text from Notepad and pasted it into the Text Area. I selected the text and change the font size to 10 pix.

Previewing your page now has no text over run.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

John - As per an earlier post of yours suggested, I checked that the page option for 'show Windows compatible text lengths' was checked -- it was.

From your post you seem to be saying the problem relates to horizontal stretching of the text object & that that has screwed up the formatting. I note that if I paste Debbie's text into a new paragraph block, and do no horizontal stretching of the block, the text still spills over in the preview. I'd assume then that whatever earlier stretch she might have done still effects pasted text. Is there anyway to reset the formating to avoid having to re-type it over? Pasting it into the Window's notepad and then back into Xara-WD will reset the text successfully - but is there an easier way?

To avoid the problem caused by non-proportional stretches is it possible that a future version of Xara-WD could have some sort of warning dialogue popup when someone clicks the little padlock removes the proportional constraint? If there can't then I think we'll be seeing Debbie's problem being a fairly common one.

Debbie - is this all making sense? Do you now understand why your text was spilling over?

Regards, Ross

PS -- Bill, I type much slower than you. Your post wasn't there when I started.
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 11 April 2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: to add PS

Here again we have a problem with text block being resized horizontally.
    That's funny because I had a look at it and thought the same thing, so I copied the text and made a new text column and then pasted the text and it still was spilling over.

Once you've resized text using the selector tool, then copy and paste that text into something else will that text then screw up in other things because it's been resized?

Ross...John types faster than either of us...his post wasn't there when I started.

Nicky I find that I must paste the text into notepad or similar plain text editor and copy it back into Web Designer to have it not over run.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ahh, so copying and pasting text from within XWD retains the 'squishness factor'.

Precisely.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update