Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: Plug ins and the meaning of life

Dr. Phil would probably say something like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Phil
    Back in Texas we have a saying "When you're a wild young filly runnin in the sun you don't care about the old mares talkin in the barn"
    (I've watched him too much! )

I've visited your site and enjoyed seeing the images you've created. I greatly admire your using them to illustrate your stories. I did find the site navigation needs your attention as you don't provide links back to the home page. If you'd like feedback from your site visitors consider providing contact info. You'll find you'll get really encouraging notes from those who stumble into the site.

Regards, Ross

I can see this is going nowhere so I'll bow out.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

My humble (or not so) opinion (ignore as necessary, as any post here at TG).

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ...talent is much more judgement than skill...
    Good judgment comes with experience and knowledge (both which everyone can learn). It's not unique to "making pictures", it's part of growing up, professional sports and being a doctor etc.

Skill comes from sweat and hard work (or patience and persistence, as BF put it). It's not unique to "making pictures" either...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ...originality springs from a good knowlelge base and good judgement...
    Alternatively, being completely insane... Alternatively, making choices based on personal experiences that the average individual doesn't possess... However, being "original" (whatever that means) doesn't automatically bring success either.

Talent is supposedly an existing ability since birth...

Ross' thoughts are (the way I understand it) that it (talent/being wired for "art") has to be nurtured to manifest itself. He believes (and I do agree (if I got it right...)) is that everyone "can" learn (if nurtured and encouraged) to create imagery that will make people throw around terms such as, "artist", "talented" and "original".

Sure, we are all wired differently... and process things differently... Some people will have to work a bit harder at it but everyone can do it (if they are helped along through instruction, really want it, or simply have to do it to eat, as in passing on an "artisan" livelihood, which as been done for thousands of years). There's no "magic" ability -- only hard work, encouragement and nurture.

People that say that they can't draw, never even tried to (or had to) work at it. Ask them and you will see there was always a teacher, parent or an "authority" figure that put him or her off (for my wife it was a grade school teacher). Some kids/people never really had a chance, and were declared failures before even getting half-way to point A.

Ross, I think you would really enjoy the book "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, where he looks at factors that "make" some people succesful. He covers everything from Canadian minor league hockey to Bill Gates. A lot of the "facts" comes down to "oppurtunity". Oh, he's books are not "new-age" or "self-help books", it's just a "topic" that he covers -- the reader makes of it as they choose.

It's an intreresting read -- I promise! His "The Tipping Point" is even better.

Risto
    Last edited by RTK; 11 April 2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Clarified one sentence.

Good grief!
    Every time I return to TG I see the same old arguments -- over the last 8 years at least! Well, it's all subjective. Get over it, people, get creative -- hit the drawing boards!

Observation -- that's a skill. My favorite hobby (astronomy) requires it...it's how great things get discovered and created. It's also what I've used since I could first pick up a pencil and draw my first lines with. We all can use it -- blessed with eyesight and/or hearing and all other senses -- and we can practice expressing what we glean from those senses in all sorts of ways = in art, music, dance, writing, performing, etc. We use these to communicate/share with each other...because that is what most of us are driven to do and is natural to us. We all have the innate talent for communication....the modes we use are just the tools.

Your artwork is for you, first and foremost, a way for you to express yourself. Make of it what you desire -- improve on your chosen abilities, or not, it is your choice. Don't let anyone put you down (not even the squirrels and mermaids) or listen to others who would seek to stifle your efforts because of their own "issues."

Just my 2 cents! Arrrrrgh! (tiger - central closeup crop of a 24" x 36" painting in acrylics on canvas - not traced - studied a lot of tiger images, because I just like tigers).
    ---Maya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tigerpic_closeup2c.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	59206  
    Last edited by Crow Haven; 11 April 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Beautiful tiger, Maya. With reference to the same old arguments, I agree. The problem is all the members who joined later (myself included), for whom these arguments are still new.
    Is is human nature to want to discuss these topics, some people just because they like a good argument.
    When I joined these hallowed halls I made the effort to read all the posts over the course of a few months, and in doing so I got up to speed with the feel and shape of the place and its inhabitants.
    Whenever I see a thread that becomes somewhat unruly, I tend to take a back seat. Spectate rather than play, as it were.
    Your advice to "get over it, people, get creative -- hit the drawing boards!" is the way forward, but, we keep getting these pesky new members (and some not so new) who wade in to join the fun.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Yes definitely the same old arguements from me but hopefully worded with a bit more skill in this round. One difference this time is its nice to see some support for the 'skills' side. If I remember correctly the first time the skills vs. talent thing came up it was only Klaus Norby who added his voice to the talent is a myth side. (Those Talkgraphics members who were around in the i/us days may remember Klaus and how far his skills could push the limits of what people thought CorelXara was all about. His old stuff is still very impressive -- you can see some on his website).

Maya - the tiger painting is stunning!

Maya, love your tiger. I painted one in watercolors once but he doesn't have near the presense yours does...excellent.

I feel alot of guilt at having brought up the plugins issue but I really just wanted to know what was considered acceptable. I thought there would be an unanymous (sp) decision on it. I didn't want to make a habit of a bad practice since I'm just starting out with XX.

Instead I opened a can of worms. I feel responsible for that. As Bob said, it's the new people coming in and wreaking havoc in the ranks. Bad Nancy, bad!!!

Edit: Bob, I paraphrased...you didn't really say all that
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Haven View Post
    Observation -- that's a skill. My favorite hobby (astronomy) requires it...it's how great things get discovered and created. It's also what I've used since I could first pick up a pencil and draw my first lines with. We all can use it -- blessed with eyesight and/or hearing and all other senses -- and we can practice expressing what we glean from those senses in all sorts of ways = in art, music, dance, writing, performing, etc. We use these to communicate/share with each other...because that is what most of us are driven to do and is natural to us. We all have the innate talent for communication....the modes we use are just the tools.

Your artwork is for you, first and foremost, a way for you to express yourself. Make of it what you desire -- improve on your chosen abilities, or not, it is your choice. Don't let anyone put you down (not even the squirrels and mermaids) or listen to others who would seek to stifle your efforts because of their own "issues."
    I couldn't have said it better, I agree with the above.
    And what a beautiful painting of a beautiful predator !
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

No can of worms. In the Xara Gallery forum the basic rule is if you used Xara to create it, feel free to post it. It is likely that someone will share a kind word or offer some suggestions. It is rare (and frowned upon) to see a really negative response. The emphasis is on comradery & support and less on discerning criticism. Generally if people don't have something nice to say then they say nothing. It of course is likely that many people are biting their lips for the sake of good manners. None of us can expect everyone to like our work -- nor should we be expected to like others work. When you feel like making a comment please do. In looking through the Gallery forums you will find most of the comments pretty supportive. There have been members who have felt they should tell-it-like-it-is and point out crap when they see it. Such people tend to not enjoy the more supportive character and typically leave us to ourselves or get banned for bad behaviour.

Please feel fully welcome to participate in any of the forums. New members don't need to prove themselves or break into any cliques. You are among friends.

Regards, Ross
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 11 April 2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo

got to say that, whilst I know what Ross is saying, the only thing that grows in a medium of constant praise is ego
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...