Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs up Xara hits the big time

I've just had a massive surprise while loading an object into SolidWorks. XWD & XXPP are both recognised formats. Nice to see the heavy weights in the CAD industry recognising Xara file formats. Now if only Xara would load DXF's!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara_into_SolidWorks.gif 
Views:	303 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	59083  

Default Re: Xara hits the big time

Quote Originally Posted by Grafix Smelter View Post
    I've just had a massive surprise while loading an object into SolidWorks. XWD & XXPP are both recognised formats. Nice to see the heavy weights in the CAD industry recognising Xara file formats. Now if only Xara would load DXF's!
    They don't recognise Xara format. It's just embedding of the OLE object. You can embed Xara designs as OLE objects in any application that supports OLE objects, for example MS Office.
    John.

Smile Re: Xara hits the big time

Don't be such a kill joy John.
    The fact that SolidWorks lists Xara file types, means there are potentially 800,000 SolidWorks users that are going to see the Xara name, and just might do a web search to discover Xara software!

It lists Xara only if you have it itstalled.
    I don't want to be a kill joy, but this requires clarification before someone gets dissapointed discovering the truth.
    John.

Cool Re: Xara hits the big time

But my PC at work, that I discovered it on, has never seen XWD only XXP4, so the guys at Solidworks must have put it in the list.

Yes Xtreme 4 is installed as the default handler for .web file types as well as it's own .xar.
    The Xara .web format has been around many many years and precedes the .xar format if I'm not wrong, I think .web was Xara Websters default file type?
    John will correct me on the history anyway

Web Designer is a brand new software that uses the same extension, but it was not invented for XWD.

Solidworks had nothing to do with it