Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Connect Text to Shapes? NavBar problem.

Is there a way in Xara Xtreme to connect text (either simple text or text area) to a shape -- without using group?

Reason I am asking is I'm trying to create a vertical NavBar with buttons that are vertical in orientation with text (in text areas) that is also vertical. The NavBar tool gets a bit confused and when I create the new states (repositioning the text areas within the buttons for example). I thought if there was a method for associating the text with the rectangle, this might not happen.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

--Larry

Default Re: Connect Text to Shapes? NavBar problem.

Hi Larry,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

The Navbar Tool has been depricated and it is not recommended to be used for creating your navbars and menus.

Please see Gary Priester's May 2008 tutorial http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/may08/

You will learn how to create your own navbars and buttons without the Navbar Tool.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That's too bad about the NavBar tool. From what I can tell the tool automates much of what is done manually in the tutorial. And makes it easier if you want to change later. With the method in the tutorial it seems you have to go through quite a bit of editing if you want to add a page and a new button. Especially if you only want the navbar done in Xara and need to use a web design tool like Dreamweaver for the rest of the work.

And Xara's MenuMaker is not the answer because it limits you to their templates.

But thanks much for your response.

--Larry

Then couldn't you use Xara Web Designer?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Larry the Navbar Tool has some issues that make it difficult to use. That is why it has been depricated.

Making your own Navbars manually is not as difficult as it may sound and in my experience is as easy as using the Navbar tool.

I've also used Menu Maker and Webstyle but find that Web Designer is the best option for making buttons, navbars, and menus.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I haven't looked at Web Designer, because I already have Dreamweaver -- but maybe I should try it out.

Can you say how Web Designer and Dreamweaver compare with regard to navBars?

Dreamweaver is a very complicated software with a steep learning curve.

Web Designer is completely WYSIWYG for page design. For creating navbars it is simple. Create your buttons and text on the MouseOff layer. Copy and paste in place on the MouseOver layer. Assign different colours to the button shapes for the mouse over. Make the MouseOff layer the active layer and assign links to the buttons. Navbar is complete.

Or you can use one of the many supplied templates.

My web page is completely created in Web Designer without using a template. Bill's web pages
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update