Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Paypal buttons in Web Designer?

Another tip I learned in setting up a PayPal button on a recent client's site was that if you want to host your own button design (i.e. not use PayPal) and if you want to include a custom branding banner across the top of the PayPal page, you need to link to the graphics for those two objects on secure server pages or PayPal will display the warning that "this page will display both secure and not secure objects" or something like that. The Security Zone will be listed as Unknown (mixed), and the security will look a little off to a savvy web visitor, who may then think the site is not secure and not buy from you.

In my case, using dot5hosting, I was able to look up in their help about ssl. They have their system set up so that you can point to graphics within your normal hosting account with a special https: link. The cool thing is that you don't have to store your graphics on some seperate server that you have to keep up with, you just have to link to them correctly.

The banner is linked to through your account settings within PayPal and the button is linked to through the code that you insert that you get from PayPal.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    ...you need to link to the graphics for those two objects on secure server pages or PayPal will display the warning that "this page will display both secure and not secure objects" or something like that.
    ... In my case, using dot5hosting, I was able to look up in their help about ssl. They have their system set up so that you can point to graphics within your normal hosting account with a special https: link.
    Hi Slavelle,

thanks for your helpful addition regarding the required secure location of the header image in PayPal in order to suppress the error.

Do you - or anybody else - happen to know how this works with Telus? I've checked their site but cannot find any relevant info about SSL, https and/or linking individual images to secure locations.
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Thank you, Albert. I used your pdf instructions, and it was easy to do.

You're welcome fridgitator.
    Last edited by Ross Macintosh; 11 May 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary quote of previous posting
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Hi all,

Take a look at Roman Cart. Its a shopping cart where you just paste html into your already designed web page and all the secure stuff is handled by them. It will work with almost any payment type you can name inc PayPal. I think its perfect for Xara and am in the process of doing a shopping cart site at the moment with it.

I would be interested if anyone else has used this before and has experience of it.

Petebog

I've not used it, but here is reference: The RomanCart Shopping Cart

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to the Web Designer forum, Tony.

You need to use a placeholder object the same size as the button. Then you create the button specifications on the PayPal website, create the code for the button, and then paste the code into the Placeholder, Replace with HTML text entry box.
    Hi,
    I've tried to add the paypal buy now to my own buttons (using the email link as in the tutorial) however web designer keeps on adding the mailto: code to my link making the link open up in outlook instead......I have tried checking and unchecking the "correct address automatically" thingy BUT still the same thing keeps happening! The code that I have pasted 'looks' correct so what is happening and how do I correct this?? HELP anyone please!!!

If I understand what you are trying to do (having not seen the tutorial, but having done some stuff with PayPal), you need to put the code from PayPal in the "replace with HTML" place on the "placeholder" tab of the web properties dialog, not the "link" tab destination.

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    If I understand what you are trying to do (having not seen the tutorial, but having done some stuff with PayPal), you need to put the code from PayPal in the "replace with HTML" place on the "placeholder" tab of the web properties dialog, not the "link" tab destination.
    That is one way of doing it BUT if I understand the tutorial correctly, I should be able to put the 'email link' code from paypal into the website link place in web designer.... i.e so I can use my own buttons...??

Quote Originally Posted by portwine View Post
    Hi,
    I've tried to add the paypal buy now to my own buttons (using the email link as in the tutorial) however web designer keeps on adding the mailto: code to my link making the link open up in outlook instead......I have tried checking and unchecking the "correct address automatically" thingy BUT still the same thing keeps happening! The code that I have pasted 'looks' correct so what is happening and how do I correct this?? HELP anyone please!!!
    Please attached your .web file - something isn't right for you.

The code that Paypal generates for the email link which is placed into the Link>>Link to web address area of XWD should not generate a mailto: unless the code looks similar to: something@something.com

I have just tested this with my PayPal account, and the email code supplied by PayPal looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pp-email-link.png 
Views:	319 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	63846

What does yours look like??

Have a look at the attached .web file for how I applied it to my own button.
    Attached Files Attached Files