Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default WD6 and Image Numbering

With WD6, I wish I had the option to have the program number the images it creates (1.PNG, 1.JPG, etc.) the same way that WD5 and XX5 do. I guess FTP-ing via WD6 will get rid of unused/outdated images but doing it as I have been via Filezilla (or, I assume, any other FTP client) just leaves the old stuff there.

With the WD5 way the old files were overwritten as the numbers were reused. It was easier to find and clean up left over files on the server manually. For example, with WD5 if I removed some pages, exported it, and found that the highest graphic file number used was 256, it was pretty easy to later get rid of all the PNGs and JPGs with a number larger than 256 on the server. With WD6 and its uniquely numbered files, trying to separate the good from the bad that way doesn't work.

I know I can (and will probably have to) change my workflow, but I would have liked to have had a choice in the "Options…" dialog box for that to stay the same as it was in the previous version.

Default Re: WD6 and Image Numbering

Try instead of re-exporting over the previously exported site, export it to the empty folder. It will produce similar result to X5.
    John.

Thanks.

The problem is me. Just about every other comment I remember about image numbering complained about how WD5/XX5 did it. So I understand why you changed it in WD6.

I've got other files that haven't been created by WD5/6 or XX5 in the index_htm_files folder that I don't want to lose or have to repeatedly upload. Short of moving those files elsewhere and updating the links to them, I suspect cleaning things out and doing FTP publishing/updating with WD6 is going to be the easiest.

Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    I've got other files that haven't been created by WD5/6 or XX5 in the index_htm_files folder that I don't want to lose or have to repeatedly upload.
    You can create a web_files folder and place them there. All content of the web_files folder is always automatically copied to the htm_files folder on export.
    For example if your design file is "mydesign.web", create folder named: "mydesign_web_files" in the same location.
    John.

Thanks.