Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Still confused on background

I'm sorry, I know that this has been gone over many times but I am very new to this software (bought it yesterday) and creating websites. I have figured out most, but I am having problems with the background. I have my own templates, all the pages work but when I preview the site it is at the top and centered in the browser. Is there any way to maybe move it down a bit and then change the surrounding background color. I don't want an image as the pages all have background images, I just don't like the white around the page.

I could use either a solid color or fade. I have checked through the forum and I have probably skimmed right past it, as I have spent the better part of yesterday and today building the site. I am ready to publish it if I can get this problem figured out.

One more question, when updating site are there any problems anyone knows about. I have tried using Coffee Cup software and the creation of the site was ok but when I made changes I would have to delete the current website from my server and then reload it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Default Re: Still confused on background

Welcome to the TG Forums,

For a solid colour background to replace the white, ctrl+Drag a colour from the colourline to the page.

Using the "publish" feature of WD will allow you to automatically upload to the same location and overwrite the current site.
    Single (selective) file uploading isn't currently possible.
    You could use an FTP client such as FileZilla perhaps?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ctrl+Drag to set page background.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	58627  

Thank you, I just tried moving a color from the colorline and when I checked there was no change. Is it possible that after publishing it the background will be different? I am just wanting the sides to be filled no matter what size monitor.

As long as the changed that I make are uploaded correctly great. Like I said with CC when I uploaded them everything was messed up so that is why I had to dump the current site and then upload.

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptive View Post
    Thank you, I just tried moving a color from the colorline and when I checked there was no change. Is it possible that after publishing it the background will be different? I am just wanting the sides to be filled no matter what size monitor.
    So long as you Ctrl+Drag from the colour line to the 'page' not the pasteboard (grey area) it will show in WD and in preview mode unless you have manually covered the 'page area' with a bitmap or rectangle.

Yes, the background will be the same (selected) colour no matter the size of the monitor/resolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page area and pasteboard.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	58635  

I have covered it by an image. I will try something later, I am trying to publish the site now and will get back if I am successful.

Yes, covering the page area with an image will not create a full screen 'site' background, only a page 'area' background.
    Even so, using the method I have described will still change the 'site' background to the selected colour.

I have uploaded the site. I may be trying what you said but I really don't want to mess things up. www.frankensteiners.com

I just clicked on your link. Good job.

I couldn't help but notice, however, that your mouseOver menu effects aren't working properly. Note that when any of your buttons is touched with the mouse, ALL of the OTHER buttons respond (but not the button that is "mouseOver"ed.

Attaching your .web file will allow others to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Additionally, the "sponsors", "links" and "members" buttons all point to the Xara [default] link.

edit: That's just a bit strange. Sometimes I get the Xara link ... while at other times I get your intended link. Check both MouseOff and MouseOver layers (Website Properties) to ensure that they are both pointing to the right location. Again, you can attach your .web file, so that others can contribute to the proper function of your website.
    Last edited by cursor; 03 April 2009 at 01:24 AM.

Thank you. I noticed that but Iwas just glad that things seemed to work.

Attaching your .web file will allow others to help you troubleshoot the issue.
    Not sure what you mean by that. Also when I click on the go to the appropriate pages.

I just noticed that if the cursor is anywhere on the site (background) then it is linked to xara.com.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 03 April 2009 at 02:37 AM.

Please note the additional "edit:" in my former post.

You can attach your .web (website project) file by using the Manage Attachments function at the bottom of any new post creation dialog.