Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Please Help: Path to publishing my site

I had my page working fine, then I try to embed a video and it threw the program out of whack. I uninstalled program and then reinstalled. I had to set up the website properties again.

I save the file as "index" as a web file. When I export and preview the site is perfect and all buttons etc work fine. When I publish the site, it goes thru the routine and completes.

It does not update to the current website though???

Please help me! I am new to this and I am having issues with troubleshooting

thanks,

Joe

Default Re: Please Help

I had a similar experience. Eventually I figured out that XWD's FTP programme was publishing the website to the 'wrong 'folder on my ISP server.
    To check out my suspicions I downloaded a trial version of CoffeeCup's FTP application which enabled me to see what was going on.
    It seems that I needed to publish my site into a folder called 'hdocs', but XWD was uploading to the site root directory. Of course your ISP may be set up differently.
    Since then I now use a full copy of Coffeecup's FTP app to publish directly from my local site folder.
    Hope this helps.

Ray

Different web hosts setup ftp access as they need it to work.

Check with your host to find out if you need to specify a subfolder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sub-folder.gif 
Views:	200 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	58604  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I think I do need a sub folder, but I don't know what to put in there! Their was original guy that helped me set this up and he is unavailable to assist.

West host gave me an HTML directory of /var/www/html but I tried that and it came up unknown directory

thanks again BILL!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by gbpatriot View Post
    ......XWD's FTP programme was publishing the website to the 'wrong 'folder on my ISP server........
    XWD only publishes to where it's told to publish. There is no error in the program, only an error in the user configuration.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Joe,

If you're wanting to replace a previous web site you can find a clue to the directory path from the address bar of the current site. eg:

So yours might look like:

I suggest you try "html" as the path to your subfolder in the Web Properties/Publish settings. (or "www/html" or "public_html/html")
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Please Help: Path to publishing my site

Joe,

if your site is hosted by Telus the public folder normally is called just "public". Hope this helps.
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga

Default Re: Please Help: Path to publishing my site

Westhost appears to be using Apache servers, so in the 'Sub-folder' section try entering: /public_html This will upload to the root directory of your hosted space.
    If you need to upload to a different subfolder, enter: /public_html/foldername

Some Hosting services specify the "httpdocs" subfolder
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.