Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please give to MAC Xara products!!!!!

Several years ago I learned Corel Xara, and never I have changed it.

Now I migrated to MAC, and I use always Xara X with emulation in MAC, but it is not same thing.

So, please...tell me that Xara is going to Mac...!!

Default Re: Please give to MAC Xara products!!!!!

Hi Spyro,

I have not heard any information about a Mac version since MAGIX acquired Xara a couple of years ago.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

This is a bad news....

Now that Mac seems to have settled on Intel processors, I would think it is a bit safer to invest time and money into developing a mac version? Awful lot artists married to macs.

Tom

The xara LX version should run on a mac. that is open source also. I have not tracked the developement of that version lately.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

XaraLX has not gotten support from the Linux development community. The last development was done by Xara staff and supporters about 2 years ago. Many features were never implemented, mostly in the galleries.

Use of the Windows version of Xara Xtreme in one of the various emulators seems to be the most popular way to run Xtreme on a MAC.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

A small technical clarification in case the term "emulator" puts anyone off:

None of the modern methods of running Windows on Mac OS are emulators - they don't waste time interpreting or re-compiling machine code and they don't attempt to emulate the Windows API function by function.

Instead they use a relatively new bit of technology in Intel chipsets called "virtualisation" which ensures that the two operating systems can be cleanly separated and that switching between them is very fast and efficient.

You install a real copy of Windows on top of this virtualisation and then some clever software shares the Mac's screen, keyboard, dics drives, etc. with Windows. Any application running on that version of Windows will see very little difference from a true native installation.

BootCamp doesn't use virtualisation, it gives Windows full control of the machine. That's the simplest and fastest method of running Windows on a Mac but you can't use Mac OS at the same time.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 06 April 2009 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks Phil. I knew emulation wasn't the correct terminology but my old brain wasn't finding the correct expression.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I've seriously thought about switching to Mac for some time now (from the day I started using Windows Vista actually) and installing Windows on a Mac just to run another windows software isn't really what I want. It's great that there is such a solution, but personally I don't like the idea of paying for a Windows licence and probably for the virtualisation software and bog down my Mac with Vista (if I cannot get my hands of XP)... So I guess I'll have to stick with my old trusty XP laptop and hope for the best.
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

I bet Xtreme is not the only thing you would miss in the pure Mac environment.
    John.