Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Web Properties dialogue

I am having troubles understanding how the web properties work.

I have created four pages. I named the Website on each of these pages and I named the pages "index" , "page1" , "page2" , "page3"
    Each of these pages have been saved into a folder with the website name.

I then added to each of these pages a set of buttons named back and next.
    When I try to place the link to page, the drop down menu only shows "next page" , "previous page", and the current viewed page number.

Shouldn't it show the other pages ( page1 etc.).

I used the "next page" "previous page" choices.

I then previewed each page individually and tried the buttons that I created, they didn't work.

Should they work?

This puzzles me, I assume that I am missing something here.
    Hopefully someone can assist me

Thanks, Derek

Default Re: Web Properties dialogue

All pages that have been created and named should present themselves as options in the drop-down menu. If not, or you're otherwise confused (hey, that's really easy), simply attach your .web file to your next post so that others may see what you're seeing.

All pages need to be part of the *same* .web project file in order for them to appear in the web properties 'Link to page' list.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webpropertiespages.png 
Views:	169 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	58558  

What I gather from your reply is that I have not created a .web project file for the site.
    I have only created and saved four individually named pages and placed them in a folder.

I have created several websites using WebExpress and CoffeeCup and the initial step is "create new website". This program has no such initial prompt.
    I thought that by naming the pages and by giving the pages a common website name and saving them, that this would create such a file. Obviously I was wrong.

I have read the Help files and watched the tutorials and still I am in the dark.

How do I create the .web project file ?

Starting to feel stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    How do I create the .web project file ?
    It's easy

File>>New>> select template (page size)
    • Design your single or *multiple page site
    • Save as: Mysite.web
    • Result = .web project file (used for later editing/updating or archiving)
    File>>Export Website = Website ready for publish
    File>>Publish Website = Uploads via FTP to your hosted space.

*Edit>>Pages>>New Page

You may also like to check out Gary Priester's Web Designer Overview
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 02 April 2009 at 04:17 AM.

Welcome to the fun “flashback”, happy to see another person trying to make the most of Web Designer. I’ve managed to learn a fair amount about the program from the video tutorial and from reading this forum. I have found that downloading the attached .web files many users of the forum provide as samples of their work or solutions to other users questions have been quite helpful. I like to open them up in Web Designer and select the objects and review the web properties for whatever information I can glean on how they make the pages work.

Some important things that I’ve learned through my trial and error approach:
    - always click the “Apply” button in the Web Properties menu when you make any change to an object or page
    - open the help file and search the index for MouseOver buttons and MouseOver effects - helps understand how buttons work.
    - also search for Soft Groups in the help file - you need to understand how they effect navigation buttons.
    - spend some time reading this forum looking for topics that help you learn Web Designers function, there is a good search function that can help find discussions related to what you need to help with.
    - Search for ‘Community Guide’ - it has some useful tips, also search for ‘Show us your sites’ plenty of samples and downloads of .web files that show you some of the great work other members are creating.

Attached below is ‘Sample.web’ a Web Designer file you can save to your drive and open and explore to see how the four page layout was set up and the previous/next buttons work. Hope you find it useful.

Randy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thumbs up Re: Web Properties dialogue

Got it!

Its all so easy once you get pointed in the right direction.

Many thanks for all your help, I'm sure it's not going to be the last time that I need assistance.

This forum seems to be generous with their help, and courteous in not laughing at newbie questions.

Thanks again, flashback