Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Increase Placeholder Limit

Can this please be increased?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlaceholderLimit.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	58554  

Default Re: [Wishlist] Increase Placeholder Limit

ĄCowabunga! What are you putting in there?!

Default Re: Increase Placeholder Limit

Well, it really should not matter. The point is, that the limit is, well, rather too limiting. In this case, I am using a javascript photogallery from here: http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/what/

I am using and older version as the original site that has been up for a while and this code (html and javascript) is working ok, but for XWD I had to cut out one of four galleries to get under the limit.

I could possibly use an iframe, but should not have to. I may yet experiment with that.

Another possibility might be breaking the code into multiple placeholders, but that is clumsy at best and it's not clear to me how the placeholders would stack (order in the html file). Maybe John Horn can (or has) expound(ed) on that. Again, though, this would be clumsy. It would be better to increase the limit.

The best solution is for Xara to make it easier for those with the knowledge and interest, be able to easier enhance their sites. Placeholders, really are a powerful concept, once you get it. I didn't like it at first, but, it works. But the editor and ability to manage external code needs to be better, IMO. Allowing users to extend XWD beyond its visual capability where it already excels, will only increase its marketability...

How many characters you need?
    John.

In this particular instance, I think the total is under 40k. But I'm not sure why you would want to limit it to less than a couple hundred k. That seems heavy for a web page, but then people are always trying to do things you don't expect them to...

I suppose another option would be some kind of XWD include files, which could be limitless. :-)

What does your code look like? Is it a single javascript?
    John.

It is a combination of javascript setup code and html. The html defines the links to images for the gallery and is what really takes up the space. The reference is here:
    http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/getting-started/

I am recreating this site: http://www.thebluelightning.com/
    completely (as much as possible) in XWD as way to learn XWD and to compare it to the hand coded original.

If you view the source, look for everything between:

<script type="text/javascript">
    function setFloatboxOptions() {

and the bottom of the div that starts with:

<div id="myGallerySet">

I could have broken that javascript setup code and html into two placeholders, but that doesn't negate the fact that given enough galleries/photos, I would still hit the limit.

Be aware that this is a site for a bluegrass band and is heavy with images. Also, some will find annoying that a random mp3 starts playing on page load. My site, my preference...

Users with low bandwidth connections may wish to avoid.

When I am done with rebuilding it in XWD, I will post a link for comparison along with my comments, for those interested.

Gotta run for now...