Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can I use php codes in WD files?

I have created pages in XWD. Also, I have attached some table codes by using placeholder. That`s fine so far. Now, I need to use php codes. Right now, my plan is just exporting the pages to html and open them in dreamviewer and paste the codes from PHP.....I know this will take time..Is there any way around to get rid of using dreamviewer????
    in other words, Can I use placeholder for php codes????? Thank you.....
    IP

Default Re: Can I use php codes in WD files?

Quote Originally Posted by afsenol View Post
    Can I use placeholder for php codes?????
    Yes, you can.
    John.
    IP

thank you covoxer, however i just wanna repeat what I understood.........

I can use placeholder for php codes like html codes. And I dont need to use dreamviewer at all..Just put the codes and publish it and start to collect the data with forms from users. IS THAT RIGHT? thank you so much.......
    IP

thank you covoxer, however i just wanna repeat what I understood.........

I can use placeholder for php codes like html codes. And I dont need to use dreamviewer at all..Just put the codes and publish it and start to collect the data with forms from users. IS THAT RIGHT? thank you so much.......
    Well, first of all, you need the page to have .php extension I guess. This requires a little tweak. The first page in document is always forced to htm or html extension by technical reasons. But you can give any extesions you like to all the following pages. So, if you have a page in your site that has a php code, it has to be not the first page (if all pages are php, simply leave the first page blank). To set the filename (with extesion) of the page go to Page tab in the Web properties dialog.
    If you have more specific questions regardin particular php code, feel free to ask. I can't answer more precisely on such general question.
    John.
    IP

I wanna put the search button and it has to be in the first page. Let say I created the php code and assign this code to the search button by using placeholder. So, do you thing it will work?
    You say it has to be at least second page. however, if I create blank page as first page, I guess XWD will open the first page which is blank as index page when you preview the pages or export it. Is it right?
    thank you for help by the way........
    IP

I wanna put the search button and it has to be in the first page. Let say I created the php code and assign this code to the search button by using placeholder. So, do you thing it will work?
    Probably yes. But it would be more clear if I could see the code.
    You say it has to be at least second page.
    Yes.
    however, if I create blank page as first page, I guess XWD will open the first page which is blank as index page when you preview the pages or export it. Is it right?
    Not exactly. First page is always opened on html preview, that's right, but it doesn't need to be index.htm. In your case, for example, you can give second page "index.php" name, so when you publish your site, this page will be default for visitors. The name you give the first page in this case is irrelevant. If you want to see page 2 on html preview when your fist page is blank, simply place a link to page 2 (and all others) on it, so that you can easily navigate.
    John.
    IP

First, the codes havent created yet, they will be done by the end of this week. When they are ready i will write here, so you can analyze it.

Secondly, I almost created 80 pages, what you say is just create a link on blank page when I preview it, Click the link and go to the second page which is normally my index page. However, I will not be able to see my index page until I publish it eventhough I export as html files. Is that right? also I guess i have to relink all pages I have done so far????
    IP

However, I will not be able to see my index page until I publish it eventhough I export as html files. Is that right?
    No. If your second page is index.html and you have link to this page in the first page, you'll be able to see it in web preview when you click the link. In your case it would be probably index.php not index.html though.
    also I guess i have to relink all pages I have done so far????
    No. Links to pages and objects are managed automatically. So you can simply insert empty page in the beginning and all other pages will remain intact.
    John.
    IP

thank you John..

one more summarized question!!

Let`s say I am creating a web site (which is www.msn.com) and designing all pages with XWD. My index page is their main page. Please check the msn.com and you see search button on the top of the page. So, what I should do is to assign my php code to the search icon. Next is that I will just put blank page as the top page and link it to the second page which is index page. Also just change the page filename as index.php and when it is published, the result will be www.msn.com
    Hopefully, it is right??

by the way, do you think we can totally create msn.com with XWD of course with additional html and php codes? What do you think? Also, do you think the index page of the msn is index.php or html?
    thank you so much for help
    IP

So, what I should do is to assign my php code to the search icon.
    All depends on code you'll use for your search element. The search string and button are not php. But they usually link to the php search page. I can't tell you exactly how to use your code untill I see it. Or at least instructions from your programmer.
    Also just change the page filename as index.php
    Yes, if you have to use PHP code on the index page.
    and when it is published, the result will be www.msn.com
    Hopefully, it is right??
    If "msn.com" is your domain then yes, something like this.
    by the way, do you think we can totally create msn.com with XWD of course with additional html and php codes?
    Well, this kind of sites are dynamically created. There's proportionally not much design at all (what WD can provide), and a lot of server side scripting (which has nothing to do with WD). Take this forum for example, it has a few pages as a templates that contain all the design elements. But the server can dynamically create thousands of different pages based on these few templates and database information.
    Also, WD is not well suited to create templates for dynamic pages. As you have probably noticed, pages produced by WD are static. They can't dynamically resize to fit the content generated by server. Although there is a way to implement dynamic layout with WD (http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36869), it may be not easy for complex dynamic pages.
    But since you say you have already 80 pages in WD, then you are probably developing a static site, so it's not like MSN at all.
    Also, do you think the index page of the msn is index.php or html?
    I think it's more like "index.aspx", though it may be anything or nothing actually since the default page is dynamically generated.
    John.
    IP