Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default My discovery: use pages as symbols and load into iFrames

Wow, for mockups this is great.

If you have a fairly complex component, make it a single page and then use that anywhere in your multipage mockup via iFrame placeholder.

That is like having symbols, because you only have to update the component once.

I just changed my workflow dramatically!!!!

Default Re: My discovery: use pages as symbols and load into iFrames

Thanks for the tip Mark.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Markku,

Can you give more details and maybe a real-world example of how you are using this to improve your workflow?

Sure, look at this TG view/page; there are several components or "boxes" each of which could be treated as a symbol. Not such a good example, because the content varies per "box", but I'm sure you get the point.

I'm currently creating some content heavy back end UI's and there are "boxes" that repeat on many pages. I used to suffer when I updated something in one of the boxes and needed to copy the changes to every single occurrence of that box throughout the site. Now this is pure pleasure to update content at one page only and have it reproduce automatically in several places via placeholders.

Just make sure you do as Covoxer told; give the iFrames 100% width/height. This way you only have to resize the placeholder rectangle according to the target content page size, and the iFrame will be of correct size.

I'm using groups for placeholders; a rectangle and a text line. The text line is descriptive of the content to be fetched, so I know what each placeholder is representing.

So far so good. Some drawbacks too; popups don't react to the states across iFrames, but for my purpose it is a minor bad.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Markku View Post
    Just make sure you do as Covoxer told; give the iFrames 100% width/height. This way you only have to resize the placeholder rectangle according to the target content page size, and the iFrame will be of correct size.

I'm using groups for placeholders; a rectangle and a text line. The text line is descriptive of the content to be fetched, so I know what each placeholder is representing.

Sounds like a useful tip. Can you post an example .web file? Even a relatively simple example would make it easier to fully understand what you are doing.

Regards, Ross