Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text over-flowing right-hand margin

just an oddy that I keep coming across . . . . when I'm using a text box, usually consisting of 2 or 3 paragraphs, I layout the screen as normal and everything looks fine. However, once uploaded the text will go beyond the right-hand margin of the text box. So if I've left say, a 2cms border on the right of the page the text will sometimes run into it by about 6 characters before wrapping. Only occasionally happens but the only way round it is reduce the width of the text box to give, say, a 3cm right-handmargin in WD in order to produce a 2cm margin once uploaded.

Default Re: Text over-flowing right-hand margin

Hi Steve, Welcome to the TG Forums.

Can you please attach your .web project file please?

WD's absolute positioning CSS should mean there should be no overflow of text.

wow that was quick!

I've cut down the file to just one page but you can see the effect best on the two longish letters at the bottom of the page. You don't need to upload it - you can see the effect in preview. Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Open Options dialog (main menu Utilities/Options...), and set "Show Windows compatible text lengths" option as shown on a screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windowstext.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	58511  
    John.

well there you go. Easy when you know what you are talking about!

Problem solved and thanks for the rapid response - very impressed.

Covoxer,
    I am working on a site and have that box checked, but my text is much different in the browser than in XWD. Here are 3 photos, 2 XWD and in 1 in Firefox. Text size is 9pt. It's only happening with this box:

http://www.michiganimaging.com/media/capture009.jpg http://www.michiganimaging.com/media/capture010.jpg

http://www.michiganimaging.com/media/capture011.jpg

Few possible reasons:

1. Do not use point size of the font. Insted use the integer value of pixels.(e.g. 13pix).
    2. Do not use fonts other than web safe.
    3. Make sure you have not applied non-proportinal scaling to you text object.

I think it's a pt.1 in your case, but I can't be sure as I have not seen your design.
    John.

Sorry, my mistake. Font size in 9pix, not 9pt. Font is Arial. Where can I find non-proportional scaling? The text looks correct in IE7.

Edit: I changed the font size to 10pix and it looks the same in the browser as in XWD. So I guess it has something to do with the 9pix size.
    Last edited by jimhanus; 12 June 2009 at 10:17 AM.