Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Exclamation Easily implemented improvement?

I know Xara is selling the "don't worry about code" thinking, but the reality of the web today is one must get into code at times.
    A simple change that would be great is if an end comment tag could be added to the </div> tag for those that have to get into code.
    Example:
    <div class="fooclass">
    blah, blah, blah
    </div><!-- end fooclass -->
    Having worked code for years, I cannot tell you what a time saver this can be for those trying to sort code out or properly place things.
    IP

Default Re: Easily implemented improvement?

Well, the html produced by WD is not supposed to be edited.
    It's true, that someone may want to get into code. For this reason we have provided paceholder mechanism. If you want some custom code, it's better to use it with placeholders.

In your example, there's class set. Usually, WD does not set any unique classes to generated elements. So the end tag comment can't be meaningful.
    John.
    IP

Wouldn't it be a nice feature:

A Professional Mode - for CSS Tags so we can work with them?
    Name DIV's set classes (as with the name gallery)

that would help a lot - even with "forms" a requested feature ;-) for 5.0.2

greetings

michael
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by bayoda View Post
    Wouldn't it be a nice feature:

A Professional Mode - for CSS Tags so we can work with them?
    Name DIV's set classes (as with the name gallery)

that would help a lot - even with "forms" a requested feature ;-) for 5.0.2

greetings

michael
    Well, how can you set any properties to divs in WD, if you don't have such an object as div in WD? You can't even predict wether there will be any divs at all.
    John.
    IP

Wink Re: Easily implemented improvement?

I should have said:
    <!-- begin code block whatever-->
    foobar code
    <!-- end block whatever -->
    in my original post. I know enough about programming to know this would not be a big deal to implement.
    Xara has done yet another great program with XWD. But it is a pure WYSIWYG editor and NO program that starts out as pure WYSIWYG stays there if it is to remain in the market. They all progress by keeping the simplicity of WYSIWYG and adding deeper functionality to expand their user base.
    But whatever you do Xara, don't become a Dreamweaver!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by richinri View Post
    I should have said:
    <!-- begin code block whatever-->
    foobar code
    <!-- end block whatever -->
    What is "whatever"? If your point is that you have problems associating opening tags with closing tags, then simply use better editor. There are plenty freeware syntax highlighting editors out there. But I would suggest you, and enyone else, to avoid editing files exported by WD. If you have to use custom code, use placeholders instead.
    But it is a pure WYSIWYG editor
    Yes, exactly. Unlike anything else you know.
    and NO program that starts out as pure WYSIWYG stays there if it is to remain in the market.
    That's because they are not WYSIWYG.
    Eventually, marketing success has little to do with the functionality, so I wouldn't bring this argument here. After all, most commercially successful OS, graphics software, programming language, CPU core, e.t.c., is not the best existing.
    They all progress by keeping the simplicity of WYSIWYG and adding deeper functionality to expand their user base.
    As you have probably noticed, WD provides you with tool to almost unlimited extension. There are placeholder objects, and you can enter any html code you like into them. I would recommend to use this approach instead of editing resulting code every time you re-export.
    John.
    IP