Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Info Found: good book

I expect there are others on this and other related forums who, like me, are trying to learn the basics of design on their own. On Saturday last, in Chapters, I stumbled on a cool book by one Jim Krause called Design Basics Index. It's great. I bought it right away and I'm really pleased.

I don't know Mr Krause, have no connection with him or his publisher, so no hidden motive here--just a fine, very nicely bound and set up little book, one of the best things I've found for novices and amateurs like me. Nor is it very expensive. He has three of four other companion books. I have ordered all of them so thought I'd share this.

I noticed in his book that where he talks about tools he mentions AI and Freehand. So I wrote him, telling him I like his book and suggesting he have a look at Xara.com. Maybe he can give Xara a bit of ink sometime. Which, BTW, I wonder how Xara stacks up now in popularity; how large is the user base. Anyone know?
    Phil Thompson
    IP

Default Re: Found: good book

Quote Originally Posted by philt View Post
    I wonder how Xara stacks up now in popularity; how large is the user base. Anyone know?
    Have not a clue, philt, but as one that had been looking for a really good - and reasonably priced - WYSIWYG web design program, the answer overwhelmingly is XWD.

For a brand new program, it seems to be relatively bug free - a really nice finding considering one can not use most new software programs for months or a year after release.

Some have mentioned they did not want X4 and XWD combined into one program but I don't understand why they would object - like any other program, use just the part you want. The obvious advantage would be the complete seamless operation and ease of working with both programs.

I am not remotely competent with either program but can manage to get things done - sometimes with a lot of help from those on this forum for which I thank them.

A thumbs up for Xara and XWD from me. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com
    IP