Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation [TIP] Don't use Commas in filenames for .WEBs to be used in Design Gallery

This will screw up the display of thumbnails for those files when viewed in the Designs Gallery.

Commas are used as dilimeters in the XaraInfo files which are created when new folders (sections) are added or updated. The XaraInfo files inturn tell the Design Gallery sections how display its contents.

If you do, you might see a 2x2 checkered thumbnail.

=================================================

Perhaps the helpfile could be ammended to indicate not to use commas?

Also, during the process of creating or updating, could the program do an error-check for commas and flag the user?
    Last edited by jclements; 31 March 2009 at 05:07 AM.
    IP

Default Re: [TIP] Don't use Commas in filenames for .WEBs to be used in Design Gallery

Hi John,

Commas are used very often as a seperator in files to the extent there is a common file extension assigned for datafiles using the method.

Comma Separated Value (csv) is used so often that Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheet applications will open it without the user having to specify the various fields.

I find it interesting that the comma has not been added to the list if characters not allowing in filenames.

Quote from Vista help:
    You can't use any of the following characters in a file name: \ / ? : * " > < |
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: [TIP] Don't use Commas in filenames for .WEBs to be used in Design Gallery

Also, I forgot to add, when trying to drag or open the files from the Design Gallery, you can get a warning message.
    IP