Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Each Text Line a Separate <DIV>

When I looked through the HTML code generated by XWD I saw each line was in a separate <DIV>. I didn’t see any <p></p> and </b> tags. That happened if the text was entered as a text area or a text column.

I know this is helpful to be able to size and position and mix text and graphics precisely. But if you’re trying to cut and paste more than a single line via a web browser each line comes in on a separate line unless you paste unformatted when everything comes in as one long line. We have a club schedule where people have cut the event descriptions from the web site and pasted them into email or text editing software to send or print. Doesn’t work the same if XWD is used.

Are there any settings that can affect that behavior or is that just how XWD works?
    IP

Default Re: Each Text Line a Separate <DIV>

This was discussed many times. Search may help.
    John.
    IP

A simple experiment:
    • Access a website that was made by Xara Web Designer (i.e. Xara Sample Site)
    • Copy a paragraph of text by 1) drag/highlighting the text, then hit Ctrl+C (copy).
    • Open Notepad.
    • Hit Ctrl+V (paste).
    • Resize the Notepad window to see how text wrapping behaves

It appears to me that there is no problem whatsoever.

I followed the proceedure above, using a paragraph on the Xara WD sample site (see link above), and all went well:
    Preview your website: At any time you can select File -> Preview Website or just click this icon on the top bar. Try it now and you can see what this website looks like in a web browser. In the Preview window check out the buttons along the top, and move over the various objects, such as this photo, right, to see various effects.
    Code:
     <div class="xr_tl" style="left: 24px; top: 161px;"><span style=" font-weight: bold;">Preview your website:</span>&nbsp;At any time you can select <span style=" font-weight: bold;">File -> Preview Website</span>&nbsp;or just click </div>
       <div class="xr_tl" style="left: 24px; top: 178px;">this icon on the top bar. Try it now and you can see what this website looks like in a </div>
       <div class="xr_tl" style="left: 0px; top: 195px;">web browser. In the Preview window check out the buttons along the top, and move over </div>
       <div class="xr_tl" style="left: 0px; top: 211px;">the various objects, such as this photo, right, to see various effects.</div>
    IP

Hi Rich,

Basically, it's how XWD works but for your particular use-case, why not load the .web file into XWD and copy the text from there and paste it into your emails?

The web file is where the original, clean, fully editable data (text) is stored. The HTML page is a representation of the original web file for a specific purpose.

Phil
    IP

cursor,

If all we had was paragraphs containing lines of text in sentences you’d be right.

However, our schedule information for each event starts off with a few rows containing info in tabbed columns (our web guy puts it in a table). With XWD’s HTML each cut-and-pasted column heading and each item comes into the other program as a separate line. The lines that make up the paragraph are readable but the other items would need re-assembly in order to make sense.

Richard
    IP

Phil,

I figured it was probably the way XWD was designed when I saw it didn’t make any difference if I was using a text column or a text area. And I saw how vital it was for WYSIWYG-inicity…

Our club publishes similar event schedule information on the web and in a printed newsletter. It’s relatively fast and easy for me to get it set up for the newsletter (paragraph styles including tabbed columns) but it takes our web guy longer (he sets each event up as a little table and a couple of paragraphs). When I saw how easy it was to tweak the formatting in Word (web safe fonts, etc.) and then do an RTF paste into XWD, I thought that this might be a way to save the web guy some effort. But as about the only non-browsing use of those web listings by members has been via cut-and-paste, I know that they would still be trying to do it if we changed the formatting.

Richard
    IP