Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Newbie image

Ross complained things were too quiet here so...
    although I bought CorelXara some time ago I never really used it. Recently dl'd XaraX and decided to see what I could do with it. So here's my 1st actual image using the program. I think I'll probably upgrade soon.

BTW, if you try to duplicate this be warned that it was post processed. My primary interest is the image so I'll use any tools at my disposal to get there- I'm not much of a purist...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TearsDeco.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	5666  

Ross complained things were too quiet here so...
    although I bought CorelXara some time ago I never really used it. Recently dl'd XaraX and decided to see what I could do with it. So here's my 1st actual image using the program. I think I'll probably upgrade soon.

BTW, if you try to duplicate this be warned that it was post processed. My primary interest is the image so I'll use any tools at my disposal to get there- I'm not much of a purist...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Jack - fellow Canadian, I'm glad you listened to my plea. The image is beautiful! The repeated elements work together very well and the background's soft & sharp (you prove that is possible) add unifying structure to the composition. A very impressive first xara project. I can only imagine the beautiful images you'll be creating when you get addicted to xara.

Please share your impressions of xara and if it has a future in your toolbox.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Thank you Ross. I came up with this in the process of experimenting with the tools, trying to find out what is or is not possible with the program. In fact, I have yet to read the help file. I'm glad you enjoyed this image but, really, it is a testament to Xara X.

I'm not sure if my impressions are of any real value as I have no significant experience with vector based drawing tools. Mostly I've experimented with 3D programs such as Poser and Bryce (and at a relatively superficial level). Xara X has given me a chance to create radically different images from my usual and I think that is a good thing. If you're interested in comparisons my site is at www.jacksart.com

At this point all I can really say is that X is remarkably easy to use and I suspect it is much deeper than I realize. I do find that it crashes a lot. This may be because I am asking too much of the program or it may simply be that, through ignorance, I am asking it to do unreasonable things. Usually the crashes occur when I am attempting rather complex tasks. It will probably happen less frequently once I actually read through the help file and discover just what it is that I am doing <grin>. For the moment, I simply save often.

Will Xara X find a place in my toolbox? Most definitely. I bought a copy of CorelXara some time ago but never used it. I've found the manual and the CD. Now all I have to do is find the serial number so I may take advantage of the upgrade discount. But if I can't locate it I'll probably just pay full price. As Xara X appears to be a program that rewards exploration, I don't really have much choice, do I?

ps. I'm not absolutely certain but it seems that the latest version 1.0aa has taken a backwards step when it comes to creating transparent gifs for the web. The background insists on going along for the ride. I hope that has been corrected in the version on the CD.

- Jack Valero

jack..i love the look and feel of your webpage...easy to navigate clean and relaxing ...

Very tasty image, Jack. Thanks for sharing it.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...