Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: License Issues

Default Re: License Issues

Quote Originally Posted by planetsquid View Post
    A friend of mine said it was like knocking down your house and completely rebuilding it every year instead of just spring cleaning.
    you go back to a pristine image - the sensible thing to do IMO - so more like refitting the whole house than rebuilding it I would have thought

as long as the activation takes that sort of thing into account I'm happy
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by boobear View Post
    Nope..... That's why you must contact support after three activations.

If they did it correctly, then it WOULD opperate as you suggest. Maybe they will take a hint from reading this thread. I know this is "doable" since the vendor of another product I own ( www.alk.com ) DOES decrement the server count when you un-install.

Boo
    Indeed - this is, is how Adobe's Creative Suite is activated. You can install the CS3 apps onto multiple PCs, and "activate" any two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cs3deactive.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	62116  

I think this quiery is in line with licensing issues.

Does anyone know if Xara have managed to sort out a method of allowing users to activate XWD without internet connection on a specific PC?

I have it on my laptop which has internet access. However, I have installed it on my studio PC which is primarly for recording and making music. It has NO internet connection, NO anti virus, NO firewall etc. It is clean and runs extremely well.

The demo version expired so I put in the activation code I recived in an e-mail from Xara but in then automatically needs to connect to internet to verify code.

A couple months ago Xara said they don't currently have a work around for this. Any one else encountered this? I didn't see a "you must have internet connection to activate" but then again I didn't look for that specifically.

Cheers
    Deanx

Quote Originally Posted by Deanx View Post
    I didn't see a "you must have internet connection to activate" but then again I didn't look for that specifically.

Cheers
    Deanx
    Well I assume that they think you must have an internet connection
    since it is a download only program, so if you have it you must have
    gotten it from the internet.

And nowadays everyone assumes that everyone has an internet connection
    It seems to be required nowadays. How you have to pay for all these
    extra's in your life doesn`t seem to concern them.
    be aware, not to become a ware.

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    Well I assume that they think you must have an internet connection
    since it is a download only program, so if you have it you must have
    gotten it from the internet.
    ...and that the software is for designing 'WebSites' - quite a reasonable assumption I'd agree

Ankhor & Sledger

Yeah both fair points. Obviously I have internet connection on my laptop which is how I purchased XWD. I guess I thought it would work the same as Xtreme 4 did. I have that on both my laptop and desktop.

My video editing software, music recording software and others things are on my desktop, plus a bigger monitor, more RAM etc etc. It would just be nice to work on that machine and be nice and comfty for all those hours

cheers
    Dean

Im frozen out on my replacement laptop due to activation count. How soon will Xara contact me or reset my count? I emailed support 4 days ago. Would it not be a good idea to relax the activation count a bit or give each activation a lease so it becomes available to use again after say 6 months. This would allow for users upgrading and re-instaling without bothering Xara but would prevent large numbers trying to activate leaked serials.

or

Why not just refuse to activate leaked serials thus punishing customers who compromise the product and Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurden View Post
    This would allow for users upgrading and re-instaling without bothering Xara
    The activation limit doesn't apply to (re) installations on the same hardware, it comes into effect only if you are installing on multiple PC's.

Thanks Steve, Thats good at least. I think I used an incorrect email address for my request so I have resent it via the web site and got a support ticket.