Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Hitch exporting 'Clipping Group' as graphic

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I don't like it at all, and don't see any reason for it.
    The reason is that when unexperienced user (unexperienced with grophics software I mean) drops his usual 12mp picture taken with his camera into WD, it will create some 4000x3000 pixels object - far beyound the average web page size. Would it be Xtreme, it would offer to alter zoom, and then he would need to scale it down, and change zoom back. And repeat for every picture taken...
    John.

Then the inexperienced user will never learn what happened and so never become 'experienced'.

Mistakes are important learning tools.
    This is where Talkgraphics helps and why it exists

At least a 'restore to 1:1' option should be available.

So much for the "rapid prototyping tool with unlimited freedom for webdesigners", it's a toy aimed at webnoobs afterall. Ah well , back to XX4 and UEdit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hein View Post
    ... it's a toy ...
    What makes you think so? Your inability to resize image to the correct size?
    John.

John, I see your point about the large web graphics, however sometimes to avoid a tiled background gradient or similar, a user may need to add a 2000 pix x 1 pix image. Or even instances where they want to show a picture - "Click here to see full sized image - Note this is a large file etc."

Wouldn't it be better if XWD just issued a warning similar too "Xara recommends that this image be resized to max 500 pix. - Accept or Decline". If they accept then Xara automatically resizes as it does now. If not it leaves it alone.

Personally, for speed I try to keep all my graphics less than 500 pix, but there are times when people do want/need more.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just to let everyone know. There is a registry key (Thanks Steve) that can be used to set the maximum pixel size of imported images.

This will be added to XaReg in short order.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No worries Bill, XaReg to the rescue once again http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

For the long term, I'd like to suggest that perhaps imported or drag'n'dropped bitmaps are handled similarly to PDF's.

See attached image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import_bitmap.png 
Views:	144 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	58347  

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    John, I see your point about the large web graphics, however sometimes to avoid a tiled background gradient or similar, a user may need to add a 2000 pix x 1 pix image. Or even instances where they want to show a picture - "Click here to see full sized image - Note this is a large file etc."

Wouldn't it be better if XWD just issued a warning similar too "Xara recommends that this image be resized to max 500 pix. - Accept or Decline". If they accept then Xara automatically resizes as it does now. If not it leaves it alone.

Personally, for speed I try to keep all my graphics less than 500 pix, but there are times when people do want/need more.
    Well, popping dialog on every import may be annoying. In most cases imported images are manually resized anyway, so they don't need original size option. You may need original size for background tiles, but these are set form bitmap gallery and are always used with 100% (no matter how the imported object is resized in the design, you'll delete that object anyway, you only need entry in the bitmap gallery which is always of original bitmap size).
    What else? Maybe some imported design elements created in different program. But these are rare, especially ones that are larger than 500px. So in most cases you don't need original size for large image objects. That's why we had automated it that far. Perhaps it would be nice to have 1:1 button or something to easily set object size to the bitmap size. Agree. Currently you have to tape in the size from the bitmap gallery into the object size, which is not quite comfortable of course.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Well, popping dialog on every import may be annoying.
    And maybe not.
    Clearly it's annoying having Xara make a decision for you, having the import dialog to allow the user the choice maintains freedom Xara.
    Go back to post #1 and see why Xara's mandatory 500pix method isn't suitable.
    It won't be a popup dialog you're adding - it would be adding a choice

Yep and you can always make a little box where people can make
    a V or remove if they do find the popups annoying.
    Just like we have for the tips window/popup.
    be aware, not to become a ware.