Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re size photos

Smile re size photos

Hi

Just been resizing photos for the web using photoshop reducing images (from a 13mp camera) down to 400*400px for a web site.

Tried all photoshop options for re sampling and hated all the results. Then I open one is xara and resized down to 400px square. Result perfect!

question does xara have a special sampleing alorithm?

cheers

Ian

Default Re: re size photos

Heh, given that the resampler in Xtreme is probably optimized for speed rather than quality, that's a pretty surprising observation
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

I use a program called ThumbsPlus (been using it for years and years) which does batch resize and resampling to a very high standard. I haven't used Photoshop's one for years. Maybe ImageReady's resampling would be better considering it's supposed to be a web image manipulation app. But somehow I doubt it.

Because of the multitude of options available to me with ThumbsPlus I would never use anything else for batch converting or resampling, but for the odd image or two I always use Xara.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank, I've been using a program called EasyThumbnails for all my thumbnails. It gives great resolution in a small package. You can tell it what size you want. I never thought to use it for anything bigger than 200x200. Thanks for mentioning it. I have to try it out...I'm so excited (but then I'm easily excited, lol).

I tried Google Picassa recently, thinking it might be a handy free alternative to ThumbsPlus, but I very quickly uninstalled it. It really is no different to the plethora of freebie album apps you get with every digital camera these days. It's made for people who like wizards. Nuff said.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I maintain sites for Pet Pro Life and OC Animal League, both pet rescue and adoption not-for-profit organizations. I have to resize dozens of pictures each week as we get new dogs and cats. I always use Xtreme Pro for resizing. It's quick and does a great job. I resize all full-size pictures to 250 pixels (wide) and thumbnails to 160 pixels (wide). Height is whatever, maintaining aspect ratio.
    Charlie

Charlie - Not so good resizing horses and larger animals.

Gary, people do it all the time. Where do you think ponies came from

I often use the free program called Irfanview to resize ( it has several presets and percentage settings) It has several algorithms to choose from depending on the type picture or speed vs quality etc.

It allows batch processing and a one click "Auto Adjust colors" setting that often produces my best results nearly instantly. The program also allows one click "Sharpen", "Rotation" and surprisingly Irfanview does the best job of increasing the size of a picture ( a mostly never satisfactory procedure).

Many more things and all free.

Yes. But there is another freeware programm that I prefer to Irfan. It's called XnView. It has very large set of adjustments, transformations and filters. All can be set and used in the batch mode. It also has very convenient interface.
    Certainly worth a try.
    John.