Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default MouseOver layer issues

Hey all,

I know a lot of posts are about MouseOver layers. I have run into an issue twice with these with the set of circumstances.

In this case, I was trying to copy a design for practice (from http://www.blogfullbliss.com/).

The issue is that I like to have my Nav bar stuff on its own layer. From Bottom up, I have the normal mouseoff and mouseover layers, a tinting layer on top of that, then my nav and a mouseover nav layer, then a front layer. I have buttons on the nav and mouseover nav layers. On the nav layer they are linked. I am not using soft groups, just groups between the buttons and the text on them. My mouseovers on the nav stuff don't work.

If I delete the regular mouseover layer, the nav mouseovers work.

Is this a limitation such that mouseover layers can only work on the base layer and popup layers or can you normally have multiple layers (all visible) that have individual mouseover layers over them?

I've attached my web file. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. (again, this is a ripped design exercise - I'm not claiming design of this and not planning on using it for anything)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: MouseOver layer issues

Hi Slavelle,

I swapped positions of your nav and mouseover nav layers.

Try the attached file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hmmm...is that normal? Doesn't the MouseOver layer usually go on top of the layer it's supposed to be over? If it's under, how does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    Hmmm...is that normal? Doesn't the MouseOver layer usually go on top of the layer it's supposed to be over? If it's under, how does it work?
    You have to understand difference between 'static' layers and 'popup' layers. Static layers are those that are always visible. In your case these are: "MouseOff", "tint", "front", "Nav". You don't have any Popup layers in this design. All the static layers are exported as a single 'layer' and they all have to be at the bottom of the layer stack. You can have as many of them as you want, but they can't have separate MouseOver/MouseDown layers since all the graphics from these layers is visible simultaneously. So, in your case you have to move all static layers to the bottom and place a single MouseOver layer just on top of them.
    Pop up layers do need individual MouseOver/MouseDown layers because their graphics can overlap with static design and other popup layers, so they can't use common rollover layer.
    Please also read this: Main menu / Help / Xara Web Designer Help... / Layers / Layer ordering in website documents".
    John.

Ok. I think I've got it. My suspicion was true, then, just I worded it a bit different. I suppose I'll just make a layer below the original mouseoff layer and treat it as a background (which I won't expect to have mouseover elements on) and then still keep my nav stuff seperate, but on the mouseoff layer (or equivalent) and use the regular mouseover layer for all things that are not on popup layers.

The reason I like my nav stuff on a different layer is that whenever I mess with it, because it sits on top of any graphics below it on the same layer, it's sometimes hard to select things and manipulate the "sub parts" the way I want without screwing up all my background graphics.

In short, I understand the issue and feel confident in a way around it.

Hi Slavelle,

The reason changing the location of your layers worked is you had the action images on the incorrect layer.

By swapping the the layers the images to be shown by mouseover were above the static layer where they should have been.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update