Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara contours produce errors in WD

Hi,

I paste contours from the latest Xtreme into WD. This usually works well, but later when I clone them in WD I am getting program errors. They happen randomly but quite frequently. They haven't crashed WD yet, but it takes a while to get a rid of the error pop ups. Best solution seems to be to use "Save as...".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contour_Error_1.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	58116

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contour_Error_2.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	58117

Hoping that this gets taken care of someday here is the silly reason why I use contours. Usually I don't need them for artistic reasons, but for faking 1 pixel lines in rectangles. I use 10 pixel grid with snapping on and it is really fast and accurate way of resizing boxes, except that regular 1 pix lines add extra width/height to these boxes when they get rendered as bitmaps. Then the interface developers come and ask me if I really intended the box width to be 301 pixels. I say no, it should be 300 pixels but I was lazy because I did not bother using contours in Xara but used lines which are rendered in the middle of the vector.

So please, Xara...add stroke placement into the Line Gallery someday soon.
    IP

Default Re: Xara contours produce errors in WD

Do you have the latest version? In the Help file you can check for updates.

I am not quite clear on why you are using the contour except to achieve a rectangle that is a specific measure?

If you are applying a photo to a rectangle and want the rectangle to be an even pixel amount, create your rectangle and set the outline to none. Then resize as necessary making sure your pixel dimensions are even pixel amounts.

Then apply the bitmap as a fill from the bitmap gallery or hold down the Shift key and drag and drop the bitmap image onto the rectangle from wherever the bitmap image is; the desktop, Windows Explorer, etc.
    IP

Yes, both programs are the latest versions.

Yes I am using the contour for the same reason that you say, but really it doesn't matter what the reason is.

What matters is that I am in the belief that Xara bevels and contours can be pasted into WD and now that this is causing errors is the very problem here.

Just got another similar error for pasting a line with an arrow. This time both programs are showing a very pesky error message that may force me to crash. This is starting to look bad.
    IP

Markku how often do your reboot your computer?

Perhaps a reboot may clear up any issues.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Usually twice a day, but truthfully during the last two or three days only once. Could that really be it? I shall see...

Thanks for the help.
    IP

Sometimes when I've encountered an error in any application it has caused corruption of some data in memory. It can cause issues with a non-related application that may try using what is reported as unused memory.

A reboot clears the ram and reinitializes pointers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks Bill.
    I take your word for it since you're a programmer yourself.

I still hope they would implement a better way than the contours to place a stroke inside a rectangle.
    IP

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Markku - can you attach a xar file from Xtreme 4 containing the contours you are pasting into WD, so we can try and reproduce this please? I tried some simple contoured shapes from V4 but did not get any problems in WD.

Thanks

Neil
    IP

Well neither am I getting any errors now that I have a freshly booted PC, so I think Bill spotted my problem.

I am so sorry to have reported a pointless finding. I was in stressful situation and got a bit annoyed when my most loyal workhorse applications started failing before me. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the support you are giving. XX and WD are phenomenal applications. I owe my success to them.
    IP

When I get errors I close XWD, run ccleaner, and then start up XWD and all is well.
    -=Bob=-
    IP