Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default enlarging selected area without loosing resolution

hi guys, im new to photoshop and illustrator, and i have been told there is a way to do this...

i have a small image that i select with the magic wand tool in photoshop and i try to free transform it to a much much larger size, but when i paint bucket it, it is very pixelated and looks terrible. how can i copy the selected area and enlarge it in illustrator without loosing any quality?

thanks guys!

jp
    IP

Default Re: enlarging selected area without loosing resolution

If the file that you are working on is say at 72 dpi and you enlarge an object to twice its size then it will look very pixely on your monitor, if you work on another file with its res set at 300dpi it will not show the pixels on your monitor when an object is enlarged by twice but it is still damaged by the enlargement but maybe not to a point when it shows. Raster objects as in digital images or photos will degenerate with enlargement, vector objects such as the text layers in Photoshop can be enlarged by an unlimited amount because the shapes are re-drawn by the computer as a set of instructions.
    Not very well explained but in short you need a big file to enlarge so that quality loss is not apparent or a vector object.
    IP

thanks for the reply... but i might not have been to clear. iam not trying to enlarge an image, but rather, select that image, then take the floating selection to illustrator fill it with paint then enlarge it. which i have seen done but cannot remember how to do it. it was some kind of special paste function if i remember correctly...
    IP

I am not sure of Photoshop, but if you have any version of CorelDraw, you can try this:

Select the desired part of image in Photoshop > copy it to clipboard > paste on a new blank file on CorelDRAW.

On title menu bar, under "Bitmap" menu, click on "Resample...".
    This will prompt you to add extra pixels to your image.

Increase pixels to sufficient level and bring back that image to Photoshop.

May this helps you.

Mark,
    www.indovance.com
    IP

I now have a better idea of what you want to do. No need to leave Photoshop first make your selection now open the path pallet at the bottom of the pallet there is a button to press that will convert the selection to a path. Now with the path selection tool that is on the tool bar select the path now press control+T to scale the path when done click OK ,then back in the paths pallet press the button to fill with the foreground colour. That should give you what you want.
    IP