Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Question Working with existing Website?

Is there an easy way of importing images and data from an existing website for further processing in Xara Web Designer?
    I would like to avoid having to recreate many pages of an existing website.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: More appropriate post icon
    IP

Default Re: Working with existing Website?

Welcome to thet TG Foums,

WD is not a html editor, you cannot open sites already produced.

WD is a visual WYSIWYG web page/site designer which exports .htm
    The site project file is saved as a.web file for future editing and export.

You can import all the images, jpg/gif/png - but you will need to reconstruct the layout and add the text and navigation links.
    IP

I know of no software, especially WYSIWYG, that does a good job of importing other sites. The prior posting was good advice.
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

It seems to me you can open the existing site in your web browser & have Xara-WD also open. I just tried it and found I could right-click on the talkgraphics logo above and chose to copy -- then in Xara-WD I simply pasted (Ctrl-v). Additionally I found it straightforward to copy & paste text. Using that basic approach it is quite possible to 'reproduce' a site.

Heck you could even temporarily import a screenshot of the existing site into Xara-WD and use it position text & graphical objects. The eyedroper can be used to match colours. Even tables in an existing site could be copied (the html) into Xara-WD placeholders.

I'm not advocating copying other sites, but if you need to - it is possible.

Regards, Ross
    IP

WD offers a built-in method to import images from the web via a right-click the image in the web page, copy the image URL and then paste the URL into File>>Import Graphics from Web

But for more than one single image, you can also just enter the URL of the page which has some graphics you'd like to use and all images on that page will then be brought into WD
    However, there are definite copyright issues to be understood here
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

That's a good tip Sledger -- makes it even easier to work with existing sites.

Maybe in the future (when the rate of questions about Xara-WD slows down), Talkgraphics can have a little challenge to reproduce a site using Xara-WD?? We could turn it into a 'makeover' challenge if straightforward reproduction is too easy. It could be fun & we'd all learn something.

Regards, Ross
    IP