Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: psd slicing

Default psd slicing

Can Xara Xtreme slice a psd page created by a web designer so that the graphics on the page can be used to build the web page?

In the movie on Image slicing the voiceover refers to another movie offering an alternative way of slicing using the image by it's "component object".

Anybody know anything about this movie or documentation concerning this alternative method?
    Regards,
    Bill A

Default Re: psd slicing

Importing PSDs into XX can produce some funny results, so it's best to export from Photoshop as a 24bit image and then bring that into Xara. Then you can slice it in the normal way.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

So you are saying that XX cannot slice a psd as PhotoShop can?

A web designer uses Photoshop to mock up a web design for a client and then the client has a web page coder take the design and make it into the component parts and add CSS and PHP to make it alive.

And yes I have looked at Web Design. It is an entirely different web creation tool.

Does anybody know where that second image slicing movie might be found that is mentioned by the Xara woman doing the voiceover in the Image Slicing movie? Or is there one at all?
    Regards,
    Bill A

Bill which slicing video are you referring to?

The one in Xtreme help and on the Web Designer movies page have a male voiceover and do not refer to another video.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,

On the Xara Xtreme page http://www.xara.com/us/products/xtreme/tutorials-demos/?tab=xara

Under The Internet section is Image Slicing. This is the same in the Help/movies section of the app it self. The Internet has the same movie with the same title. The women is demonstrating how to slice the MG logo from the car, a header and menu as she terms them.

If you know of different movies please let me know where they are located.
    Regards,
    Bill A

Thanks Bill, I was looking at the slicing objects video.

The other video would be the one for Image Maps.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by billa View Post
    So you are saying that XX cannot slice a psd as PhotoShop can?
    Funnily enough, no. I'm saying Importing PSDs into XX can produce some funny results, so it's best to export from Photoshop as a 24bit image and then bring that into Xara. Then you can slice it in the normal way.

A web designer uses Photoshop to mock up a web design for a client and then the client has a web page coder take the design and make it into the component parts and add CSS and PHP to make it alive.
    You need a "web designer" and a "web page coder" to do all that? Wow, I've been doing the work of two people all these years and never knew it! Perhaps I should ask myself for a raise!
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi Big Frank,

You need a "web designer" and a "web page coder" to do all that? Wow, I've been doing the work of two people all these years and never knew it! Perhaps I should ask myself for a raise!
    No that's not what I said! I don't control who creates the web design. They turn over a psd and I have to work with it. This is not that uncommon. That is why I am looking to XX for a possible slicer, but someone has to be a little more encouraging than what answers I have received so far. I have looked at a few jobs on a coder web site that are up for bidding that the client has a psd. That is what you have to work with.

But please do, go ahead and give yourself that raise.
    Regards,
    Bill A

What Frank is saying is that the xtreme PSD filter may not be up to the latest spec [CS4] and further, in common with most other programs, it does not support all the photoshop features - only photoshop does that

so better to flatten the image and export it as a bitmap to be on the safe side ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That is why I am looking to XX for a possible slicer, but someone has to be a little more encouraging than what answers I have received so far. I have looked at a few jobs on a coder web site that are up for bidding that the client has a psd.
    OK, I am assuming from all of this that you don't have Photoshop or, if you do, only a very old version, or Elements, because if you had Photoshop CS3 or similar this argument would be moot.

So this is what you do. You download and install Irfanview. You view the PSD file and you take a snapshot* of it in Irfanview. You paste the snapshot into XX. You slice the snapshot.

I think I deserve that raise now.

* that's snapshot, not screenshot

Edit: I don't use Irfanview, I use ThumbsPlus, but Irfanview is free and TP isn't.
    Last edited by Big Frank; 24 March 2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.