Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default backgrounds (again)

How do I create a background like the one shown on this site here:

http://www.dotmailer.com/digital_marketing/

I try creating a large bitmap image 1900x2000 pixels , importing it from Xtreme, deleting it, then going to galleries, and selecting it as the background. It works fine if I just do a simple colour background with a linear graduated fill, but when I try and incorporate any graphics into it, the image appears to 'restart' from the left hand side of the webpage when viewed in my browser of the preview window. It also creates a lined border from the left hand side of the page too.

Is there a way of creating an untiled background in Web Designer, with one graphic? What dimensions should this be?

Default Re: backgrounds (again)

You don't need untiled background for this example. You actually don't need a background image at all. Simply make the background graphics to be a part of your page. That's it.
    Example attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: web bg.web (177.4 KB, 260 views)
    John.

Oh, ok. What size of page is the ideal size to enable viewing in the majority of browsers and monitors?

John - That is not the same thing. The page Stuart linked to has a band of pattern that tiles across the top of the screen. On my 24" monitor the pattern continuously repeats.

I think what might work is to create a repeating tile that is much deeper than the actual page size. Maybe twice as deep as you expect your page to go. Apply this tile to your page (via the Bitmap Gallery > Background). The page will lengthen to accommodate the depth of the background image.

Adjust your page to the depth necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bu Stuart was asking for non tiling background?
    John.

Yes. Actually I've got fed up of trying to make one due to the problems this is causing me. I'm about to buy a stock vector graphic from 123RF, which will be a high res eps file. Could I use this as a background? Would it work without getting all messed up by Xara? If its a large file, would this slow down the loading of pages or is there a way round this.

John - OK. But to achieve what Stuart wants, I tiling background is probably the best solution.

Stuart - You will have to convert the eps file to a bitmap and so that will determine the file size.

No problem then.
    John.

Right I've bought the graphic which looks great. Its the skyline of London. I want this to go across the background, so it disappears behind one side of the page and comes out of the other. I create a page size of 1830 x 1000, and split the image so it would look continuous, i.e. in the middle there is a gap for the webpage to sit so I don't lose any of the skyline image features. I test it by copying the webpage over so that I know its all measured up right. I group this all together and export it to WD as a bitmap. I select it as the background and preview it in the browser. AND IT COMES OUT ALL TILED AGAIN, NOT EVEN TILED CENTRALLY SO IT MIGHT LOOK SLIGHTLY DECENT, ALL THE MEASUREMENTS ARE MESSED UP, IT LOOKS CRAP, FOR GODS SAKE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!

Andover, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

Quote Originally Posted by stuart1980 View Post
    Right I've bought the graphic which looks great. Its the skyline of London. I want this to go across the background, so it disappears behind one side of the page and comes out of the other. I create a page size of 1830 x 1000, and split the image so it would look continuous, i.e. in the middle there is a gap for the webpage to sit so I don't lose any of the skyline image features. I test it by copying the webpage over so that I know its all measured up right. I group this all together and export it to WD as a bitmap. I select it as the background and preview it in the browser. AND IT COMES OUT ALL TILED AGAIN, NOT EVEN TILED CENTRALLY SO IT MIGHT LOOK SLIGHTLY DECENT, ALL THE MEASUREMENTS ARE MESSED UP, IT LOOKS CRAP, FOR GODS SAKE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!
    I love the effect of ALL CAPS at the end to really accentuate the need to yell I do it myself all the time.

Can you upload the .web file so we can see & test it?

Maybe we'll see something you missed.
    -h
    ===============
    (a.k.a.) Bobby Harris