Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Still have issues with Fatcow hosting?

Well, I've finally had to disable HotLink protection completely on Fatcow.com to get my simple WD generated site to load correctly.

However, loading times are still pretty slow. It may be because I'm on a satellite-based broadband ISP (it sucks, at best). Or.... maybe I need to know more about how WD works internally.

The site is www.scosc.net and I'd appreciate if a few of you could swing by and check out load times.

Boo

P.S. to pauland; no "cracks" please about Front Page. 8-)

Haven't used it in years, but at one time it was pretty popular (I guess). Way back (10 years ago) when the verbiage for this page was first created.
    IP

Default Re: Still have issues with Fatcow hosting?

Hi Boo,

You page loaded in 4 seconds. I'm on a 768K dsl connection.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Less than a second for me (8mb broadband )
    IP

Thanks for the responses..... On my end, it's so slow that it's readily apparent that the logo in UL corner as well as the business name in the title bar are using images with a transparent background.

In other words there are several seconds after everything loads, before the borders around those two items BECOME transparent. This makes the site look tacky.

It's probably just "crap assed" ISP. 8-) Satellite-based broadband can be as slow as dialup a good bit of the time. It's the price I pay for living so far out in "the sticks", I guess.

Boo
    IP

Hi BooBear, your site loaded almost instantly (as it should, there's only tiny files there). I'd suggest it's more to do with the connection speed your ISP is giving you.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Or.... maybe I need to know more about how WD works internally.
    ..which has nothing to do with your download times, as I said in another thread.

The only thing that affects your download speeds is the size of your image content. The only techniques I know to optimise that is to:

Group overlapping images.
    Optimise generated files by choosing the most appropriate image file type and compression.

All techniques that would apply in other software.

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by boobear View Post
    The site is www.scosc.net and I'd appreciate if a few of you could swing by and check out load times.
    First load (no cache used) 1.7 seconds in IE7, 1.2 seconds in Opera, 1.4 seconds in Firefox.
    John.
    IP

Thanks to all....... It is as I suspected, my ISP.

Boo
    IP