Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: back ups

Hybrid View

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default back ups

What I would like to see in the next version is an option to create a continuously updating .bak file. I currently have the registry option toggled on via XaReg, but it creates a new .bak file every time you save. When you are used to hitting ctrl+s often those files pile up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: back ups

Hi Frances, with XPro now so stable I do not use the reg. hack as I save my drawing regularly so therefore there is little need for autosave. Also I find when using a programme which has autosave in the design part when I am doing a lot of changes, trying to get the design right, occasionally I have found the programme has saved the wrong version as I have relied on the autosave. However if I was using loads of brushes in a drawing I might be saving every time I use that brush stroke as some brushes do still cause XPro problems but that is not to do with autosave it is all to do with the brush and that is what should be sorted.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Frances in previous versions of Xtreme only one .bak file was made so only the previously saved file was available.

Many people requested the ability to have multiple .bak files so they would have various stages of the files progression.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Hi Frances, with XPro now so stable I do not use the reg. hack as I save my drawing regularly so therefore there is little need for autosave.
    There's every need for autosave. I have a patched XXP4 and only the other week I lost, LOST, a day's work because the file I had been saving every other minute or so threw a wobbly and crashed Xara. When I went back to it the file had 0 bytes. Nothing could have recovered it because there was nothing to recover other than the file name. Since then I have used XaReg (my fault for not installing it before) and have had occasion in the past week to thank it for being there. There's every need for autosave, and it's a feature we have been asking Xara for for a decade.

It should be really simple.

Create backup (*.bak) on Save? : Yes/No
    If Yes :
    Replace existing *.bak/Add new *.bak
    Folder to store *.bak files |______________________|
    Why this is a problem for them defies logic.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    What I would like to see in the next version is an option to create a continuously updating .bak file. I currently have the registry option toggled on via XaReg, but it creates a new .bak file every time you save. When you are used to hitting ctrl+s often those files pile up.
    I'm very glad to have all those bak files, but you're right, they do pile up. That's why I'd like to have them go to a bak subfolder under the current working folder.

Don't forget that this is an undocumented unsupported hidden feature which is only accessible via a registry hack or XaReg.

Until Xara officially announce and support it, there's little chance of any change.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Until Xara officially announce and support it, there's little chance of any change.
    Understood, but this is the Dear Xara forum.

Don't forget that this is an undocumented unsupported hidden feature which is only accessible via a registry hack or XaReg.

This isn't "an undocumented, unsupported hidden feature" at all. It's a little utility (a bloomin' brilliant one at that) designed by some passionate Xara users (you should know, you wrote it, LOL).
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

...by Xara Frank - by Xara

...by Xara Frank - by Xara
    Ah well, my mistake - maybe I was confusing it with XXTune. Either way, it should be integrated into the main product.

Avoiding Manual Labour.