Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Text Renders Differently in Browser

And what's the difference?
    Don't expect text to be rendered with per-pixel precision. This is simply impossible. But in your example, I don't see the any significand difference.
    John.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BetterBack View Post
    The left hand side text column and the smaller font blocks 'HOME' and 'UNWIND AS DESIGNED' show differently to the original text.
    Sorry - can't see it.
    IP

They look the same to me too ... except ... the two o's in Loop are not linked in the preview, are linked in Firefox, and are just touching in the original, which is presumably the desired version as it makes an infinity style loop.

You might want to consider doing "The Loop" as a graphic rather than text in order to control exactly how it looks as a logo.
    IP

The text renders accurately if you group it using the Arrange function, so there's no basic issue of compromise.

However, as far as I can see, when a text block is grouped, it can't function as a hyperlink

Is there any way to combine grouping text with still being able to use it to link through to other pages?

IP

Grouped text is exported as bitmap.
    John.
    IP

Default Text Renders Differently in Browser

Thanks,

That means I could make a link from importing the text to the page and making a hyper-link from the bitmap image, but presumably there would be no way to also get a mouse-over effect.

It seems like a fairly fundamental compromise to have to use 18pt text or above to get faithful rendering of text. It's not been an issue with other software I've tried: I wonder if there is a difference in the HTML coding?

Is there is any way to get small-font text to pixellate accurately AND get a text mouse-over effect?

-------------
    Paul Smith
    IP

The only difference I can see is the slight differences between the Xara text rendering engine at small sizes and the Browser text rendering engine (Windows). We can't control the appearance of the text on the browser to that degree - that's entirely up to the browser, operating system, platform (Macs display text much more like Xara i.e. more blurred, but more accurate) and it even depends on the Windows settings your visitor has (whether anti-aliasing is on or ClearType or other windows settings) and of course you can't know what your visitors will be using.

So the only way to guarantee exact, and I mean pixel exact, same text rendering for small type, as you see in Xara is to export as a graphic (just group the object).

It is quite easy to do this, and still have mouse-over effect. You will need to create a separate graphic object for each item you want to have a mouseover effect, and then just copy that graphic (or a slightly different coloured one) to the mouseover layer to be exactly on top of the original. The advantage of graphical buttons and links is that you can then use any font you like, or indeed any graphical style of course. All the mouse-over buttons in the templates and intro doc are done this way.
    IP

Thank you,

That's really clear and much appreciated.

Paul Smith
    IP