I suppose you could do what I did in an xtreme site I was working on, and that is to make an invisible rectangle grouped with the box you want the mouseover on and then the mouseover layer can go over the whole combined size - iow: this would allow the mouseover layer to display something that looks larger than the object is over. Does that make sense?

My example was a nav bar, where the mouseoff layer contained a cardboard box for each area of the site. when the boxes were hovered, a the top would open and show color inside that box. Since the mouseover object was twice as tall as the box it sat on top of, I had to make the underlying box area actually as big as the thing I wanted to show on the mouseover layer. Worked out pretty well for the simple example.

All I was suggesting is that the popup laters would give you a lot more flexibility, but if you are going to have tons of "contact records" I can see how it would be a bit laborious. Some of the layer stuff in xwd is a little clunky, but the end-results are cool and otherwise really difficult to obtain with standard html/css coding.