Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara2 on Linux

I've managed to get Xara2 to run in Linux, using wine. However, the problem is that Xara cannot find any of its templates. I believe this is because Linux/Unix is case-sensitive in its directory names and windows is not. I am trying to get around this problem bu trying all-uppercase and all-lowercase directory names - but it is very complicated. Hopefully someone (possibly at xara) can comment - here are the errors:

1. On launch, and everytime I attempt to create a new document I get the error: "An error occured (permission denied) when opening the file:" with nothing, mysteriously, after "file:". I think this is because it can't find the templates, which relates to...

2. Only 1 template listed in File->New, and that is "Drawing" as always. Animation is greyed out.

3. At odd times, like when closing the About box, it says, "AN invalid pathname has been supplied!" and when oking the box from #1, "Could not open the input file."

I'm pretty sure it isn't an actual permissions error, as even when run as root (the superuser) it gives these errors. if anyone has any ideas as to what case xara usually uses that would, i think, help a lot.

For interest sake what I do see of Xara is fast (once loaded) and exactly like it is when run in windows.

Nathan

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    Founder and Lead Designer at Amuses Me Games.
    Apple fanboy with much nostalgia for Xara. @nheagy on twitter
    IP

I've managed to get Xara2 to run in Linux, using wine. However, the problem is that Xara cannot find any of its templates. I believe this is because Linux/Unix is case-sensitive in its directory names and windows is not. I am trying to get around this problem bu trying all-uppercase and all-lowercase directory names - but it is very complicated. Hopefully someone (possibly at xara) can comment - here are the errors:

1. On launch, and everytime I attempt to create a new document I get the error: "An error occured (permission denied) when opening the file:" with nothing, mysteriously, after "file:". I think this is because it can't find the templates, which relates to...

2. Only 1 template listed in File->New, and that is "Drawing" as always. Animation is greyed out.

3. At odd times, like when closing the About box, it says, "AN invalid pathname has been supplied!" and when oking the box from #1, "Could not open the input file."

I'm pretty sure it isn't an actual permissions error, as even when run as root (the superuser) it gives these errors. if anyone has any ideas as to what case xara usually uses that would, i think, help a lot.

For interest sake what I do see of Xara is fast (once loaded) and exactly like it is when run in windows.

Nathan

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    IP

Nathan

As a result of your previous postings on this subject, some time ago I attempted to get Xara to work on Linux. I didn't get very far, but I did produce a vector version of XaraFont.fon which you'd said was a stumbling block. I tried to install Linux from a CD I'd been given (RedHat 5.2), but kept encountering compatibility problems that required newer components than I had. After much additional downloading I finally got Linux to work with my hardware, only to find that WINE wouldn't work with my version of Linux. At that point I put the project off until I had more time...

The result is that I know nothing about WINE, however it seems as though the way it replicates Windows' registry may be causing Xara problems. The errors you describe could be caused by WINE's registry returning null strings when Xara is expecting a file path. The normal way to recover a default Templates directory is to open your default template (drawing.xar) as a normal file and save it back on itself as the default template using 'Save Template'. You must also do the same thing for the default animation template (animatin.xar). Hopefully this will get you one step closer.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean
    IP

Funny... whenever i try to use wine to get something to work, i can't get anything to work!

And when i wake up the next morning, i can't remember how i did anything... in fact, i can't even find my computer at all!

PS: j/k [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Mark...
    IP

After considering it, I agree with you that the registry may be the problem. The good thing about the wine "registry" is that it is easily editted by hand. I will see if I can recreate the current windows settings in Linux.

Recently wine has included a program for converting windows FON files to linux ones that wine can use. This worked perfectly for Xara.

There is also a problem when trying a file->open that may not be related to the registry. If I feel courageous enough, I may try to install Xara with wine, which should put all the proper registry settings in place.

I'll let you all know how it goes...

Nathan

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    IP

Ok, Xara is running, and I have editted a few files. It is not perfect, but surprisingly speed is quite good. There are a few glitches in redraw, and a few right-mouse-button issues. However for quick editting in Linux this is going to work great, for me. I have found a wine developer who was willing to look at my problem, and so the fixes are not available in main wine, yet. For anyone who really wants to get Xara in Linux, email me.

Nathan Heagy
    <HR>
    Blow Your Beef Away
    Cow Comics!
    IP

Does anyone know how I can get Xara to work with my Toaster? Will Xara X be compat. with my Toaster? I've tried fiddling with my Toasters calibration but nothing! I can't count the number of melted CD's...

[Dragged away screaming by men in white coats, toaster in trail]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Michael Ward
    IP

You can always experiment with your old Xara 2 CD Roms & your toaster while your waiting for Xara X Michael.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

That pic is brill. Well done! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Michael Ward
    IP