Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Make Bitmap Copy > Option to Keep Original File in BitMap Gallery

Scenario: You import a bunch of photo from your camera or from an photo archive. You select them all and align them to one another, then scale them down to the same dimensional size (which is 1/3 their original)size to meet the needs of your layout.

The photos now have a resoluton 3x greater than need be. So make a bitmap copy of each at 150dpi and delete the originals.

The photos now saved in the BitMap Gallery have been renamed. If at a later time, you want to find the originals in an archive, you can't use the BitMap Gallery as a reference to search for the originals by name.

Perhaps, there is way to keep the names from being changed ... I'd like to know

If not, then I'd like to an option somewhere to keep the original photos name (or append "...copy#" to the original file name).

Default Re: Make Bitmap Copy > Option to Keep Original File in BitMap Gallery

That could seriously bloat out a .xar file and may cause Out Of Memory errors.

Also, no need to make bitmap copy of photo's, just right-click 'Optimise'.
    This creates a copy in the BMG and names it filename [optimized]

If you want the original kept in the BMG after saving and closing the xar, just drop a copy onto the paste board and set it to 1pixel size. The original size in the bitmap gallery will remain the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optimised.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	69654
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Make Bitmap Copy > Option to Keep Original File in BitMap Gallery

Steve ... Optimize, does exactly what I need! When I save the Xara file and reopen it, the original name of the bitmaps are available.

I don't think I ever tried that before (for some reason I had assumed that it automatically optimized without giving the user a way to specify the desired resolution).

AND it looks like you can select multiple bitmaps and optimize them all at once to the same resolution. I am very HAPPY now. Thanks for clarifying this.

John

P.S. I think it would be convenient when Making A Bitamap Copy to have it use a naming process similar to what Optimize does.