Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: XWD Needs Link to PDF Function

I had the exact same problem about a week ago. I found that when I used the browser preview function I couldn,t see any pdf documents even if they were placed in the same directory as the .web file I was using. On export the same occured, couldn't see any PDF(or any other document) which was linked in the index file when I opened it and clicked on any.
    Tony, that is what I am experiencing (but you explained it better).

"...so why doesn't the linking work here"
    My question as well.

John, I attached a zip of the directory containg the .web and published htm_files for you to examine in case there is something else which I may have done correctly.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Tony, I just tried viewing your Web page and I got the following when I went to page 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error, page 3.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	57869  
    Last edited by jclements; 21 March 2009 at 09:47 PM.
    IP

I have a feeling that part of the problem may be that XWD isn't transferring the pdf files that are being linked to (how would it know to transfer them?) or am I completely wrong?
    IP

Hi,

I got the same virus warning from that site??

If you use absolute urls,it does work.(h ttp://www.yourdomain.com/your_folder_name/your_filename.pdf)

Hans
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by OldRadioGuy View Post
    I'd like to urge the XWD designers to modify the web properties dialog window to include an option to link to PDF files contained in the main HTML files folder (or a sub folder).
    Not necessary ORG.

Having just read this thread I can see much confusion has occurred where there need not be any, it's quite simple really.

Please follow the included instructions.

Live example of below instructions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	includePDFlink.png 
Views:	347 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	57873  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Hi sledger,
    Some of us would like to check what our .web file does and does not do correctly before we export, (or at least after we export) or publish, and this is where the problem occurs
    regards
    Tony
    IP

Following the method in my last post, 'previewing' your .web does work 100%

But you must export to the HDD first.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Not necessary ORG.

Having just read this thread I can see much confusion has occurred where there need not be any, it's quite simple really.

Please follow the included instructions.

Live example of below instructions
    Thank you, Sledger! That method works!

I still contend, however, the Web Properties Link tab should show the PDF file as a selection option if it's placed in the proper directory rather than the web designer having to type in that information.

OldRadioGuy

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have a link to a pdf file on my website and it works just fine. What I do is upload the pdf file to the web host server using the web host file manager, then set my link in webdesigner as follows ht tp://www.yourwebsite.com/yourfilename.pdf (I added a space in http to prevent the forum from creating a link) because the file is aready uploaded to the server I can preview it just fine. If you use Google Analytics you can tag the link to track how many times it's being downloaded. John(covoxer) helped me with this here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.
    IP

Note that this method works for any file type that you plan to link to.
    Just how the visitors browser reacts to the file type you link, is dependent on their own PC and browser setup - but the process is the same.

ORG, what you are asking for is that you want WD to present a list of files that you have already placed in your index_htm_files folder so that you can select one of them as the linked target right?

This could be a support nightmare me thinks, owing to the fact that you may have many different export resource folders based on the name you give each .htm page (in a multi-page site)

I think the feeding of the man or teaching to him fish proverb is applicable in this instance don't you
    IP