Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default XWD Needs Link to PDF Function

I'd like to urge the XWD designers to modify the web properties dialog window to include an option to link to PDF files contained in the main HTML files folder (or a sub folder).

The only way I've figured out how to do it is to use an external html editor to edit the appropriate page file after the Export Website button in XWD was used to generate the actual files for uploading to a server.

I've been experimenting with an XWD makeover of a small community history site I maintain. One html page has a cemetery grave inventory -- all listings on the same page using anchors to move through the names. I've tried splitting this list among several XWD-generated pages, but that was extremely cumbersome to set up.

The solution for this information is a PDF file, but I've discovered XWD won't do PDFs. Am I missing something here?

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

Default Re: XWD Needs Link to PDF Function

I have linked to PDFs without issue with XWD generated Intranets. Use the Web Properties dialogue box and type in the \path\pdfname.pdf link in the Link to Web Address field. Then select Open Link in :New window (_blank) and all should be fine (assuming you have the PDF view installed)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Carrot View Post
    I have linked to PDFs without issue with XWD generated Intranets. Use the Web Properties dialogue box and type in the \path\pdfname.pdf link in the Link to Web Address field. Then select Open Link in :New window (_blank) and all should be fine (assuming you have the PDF view installed)
    I tried that a couple of times, but it didn't work for me. Since you had no problems, I'll look again for possible typos?

But what you have done is some additional coding. The point is you should be able to navigate to the PDF files (as with the standard XWD pages) without having to type in the path name (or they should appear as selection options if in the root directory.

Thanks.

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.
    IP

I believe I followed your instructions, Carrot. But did not work for me.

I have acrobat Reader installed. Or is there a browser PDF plugin that is required?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pdf link.png 
Views:	343 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	57864  
    Last edited by jclements; 21 March 2009 at 08:10 PM.
    IP

You have entered invalid URL. If you want absolute path, then it has to be:
    Code:
    file://localhost/C:/_My Drawings/_Web Designer test/PDF.pdf
    But it's better to use relative path.
    John.
    IP

I believe (but I am no expert) you have to have relative links. For Example, I tend to store the PDFs associated with my web page the same file area as my web; e.g. if myweb is the root (\myweb) then the pdfs are stored in (\myweb\pdf_archive) then to call them in Web Properties i just type \pdf_archive\pdf_file.pdf.

Edit: Covoxer beat me to it (and explained it far more eloquently)
    Last edited by Carrot; 21 March 2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Update
    IP

1- John, so what is the syntax for a relative path?

2- file://localhost/C:/_My Drawings/_Web Designer test/PDF.pdf didn't work either. Tested using the published index.htm and the preview.

[edit] so you've got to publish once to setup the directory structure once for the web, then copy the the PDF to that location, and setup its link.[/edit]
    Last edited by jclements; 21 March 2009 at 08:30 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    John, so what is the syntax for a relative path?
    If your file is in the same directory as exported html, then simply enter the file name. If you have a folder, for example called "my_pdfs" which is located along with exported html then the relative path will be:

my_pdfs/PDF.pdf
    John.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    2- file://localhost/C:/_My Drawings/_Web Designer test/PDF.pdf didn't work either. Tested using the published index.htm and the preview.
    What do you mean by published? You can't open local file from the online page. If I get yuo right. Preview the exported site locally.
    John.
    IP

I had the exact same problem about a week ago. I found that when I used the browser preview function I couldn,t see any pdf documents even if they were placed in the same directory as the .web file I was using.
    On export the same occured, couldn't see any PDF(or any other document) which was linked in the index file when I opened it and clicked on any.
    However...when the site was published and viewed over the internet it worked perfectly, I found all the links worked without problem.
    Browser Preview is where you want to check your website before you export, and after export you again want to check your website before you publish, so why doesn't the linking work here.
    here is my finished website: [link removed, because of virus (possible false) warnings]
    Regards
    Tony
    Last edited by remi; 23 March 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: link removed, because of virus warnings
    IP