Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Couple of questions

Hi,

I bought this new program. I'm quite excited about it. I've been using WebPlus by Serif for the longest time but still to this day their program tends to be a bit "off" in how it responds at times, makes me nervous that all my work is going to go "poof"!!

So there are a couple of questions.

Is there an option to make the pages center when displayed in the browser or are they going to be to the right or left with no centering option??

Why is there no text gallery? I use that all the time in Xara Pro and would love to have this included!!

No bevel option either... hmmm... ok! WHY is that?? Even if the button you are creating has to be exported as a png, upon export from what I've read the elements are exported as png's anyways so this tool missing from the program forces the end user to open up Xara X... So this program is not all inclusive it seems.....

What would make the program the tops in my book is to combine Xara X and this program's capabilities or extend Xara X with this programs capabilities. I'm sure I'll get a myriad of why's and what nots about this suggestion but it just seems to obvious to me!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Default Re: Couple of questions

No other shapes either like star?? Hmmm, not very impressed with the options so far. Not to say the web creation tools are not bad but the missing options that would really flesh this program out being absent is a real dissapointment!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Hi,
    I miss the "bevel" also..I have created in Xtreme Pro for my purposes and then brought them into Designer, but there is no way in designer to modify the bevel, should you want to.
    Jim
    p.S. give us the bevel charles please..
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMWolff44 View Post
    Is there an option to make the pages center when displayed in the browser or are they going to be to the right or left with no centering option??
    They are centred.

What would make the program the tops in my book is to combine Xara X and this program's capabilities or extend Xara X with this programs capabilities. I'm sure I'll get a myriad of why's and what nots about this suggestion but it just seems to obvious to me!!
    A lot of people agree with you, though I'm not one of them!

Maybe there'll be a "Web Designer Pro" instead..
    IP

Hi Richard,

Pages are always centered in browser if I get you right.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Text Gallery"? There are Names and Font galleries removed.

And yes, there are a lot of tools removed mostly because of the pricing of the product.
    John.
    IP

Hi Richard, hope you're keeping well. I think the idea is to have XWD kept as streamlined as possible so it doesn't overpower new users. There are quite a few things that are in XX that aren't in XWD as you've noticed (name gallery, create bimap copy are 2 more examples). In otherwords this is XX with advanced web design features, it's a stand alone program. There's also been speculation/debate about whether the next version of XX will have all these new web features.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I'd really like them to concentrate their efforts on the web side for this and the design/graphics side for xtrame, but it would be nice to have some more sort of dde linking or whatever, or the ability, if you owned xxtreme, to integrate tools from it into web designer.

I give kudos for whoever designed the pasting and such, though. You can have both apps open and copy things across from xtreme and still have a degree of editing freedom. A Blend, for example, when pasted into XWD, will still retain capabilities like changing the start or end shape and having the rest of the blend react. You can copy stuff back over to xtreme as well, and it is still a xara object, so you can edit things like the bevel characteristics as well. It's not like either one has to dumb stuff down to png to exchange it or anything.

If you have both programs, it's awesome. Since I've long been using stuff that's WAY more removed from the copy paste, maybe I just give too much credit, but it's pretty cool - people who buy the higher end product get benefits that extend into the lower end products, not that common in the software industry.
    IP

OK, so here's an idea then, hence my beta and idea skills.... it's obvious to me from playing around a bit this AM with the program (I'm at the salon right now writing this) that the program is built off of the Xara X code... so whats to keep having both programs opened in a tab like set up? Open up Xara X and then open up the Web app and it will sense that Xara X is open and ask if you want Web opened under the same in a tab or vice versa with the Web apps opened first. So you can then work between the two programs easier. There also should be a bridge for both apps if the Web app is not going to be expanded out any more than this to make elements created in Xara X being imported easier into the Web app. Hows that idea feel to some folks??
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

so whats to keep having both programs opened in a tab like set up? Open up Xara X and then open up the Web app and it will sense that Xara X is open and ask if you want Web opened under the same in a tab or vice versa with the Web apps opened first.
    Because WD was created as a stand alone app for people who neither have or needed the power of Xtreme.

As Egg mentioned, there is much speculation about the next version of Xara Xtreme - we'll have to wait an see what Xara have decided is their best direction there.
    Meanwhile, WD represents an extraordinary leap in WYSIWYG web page design at a price for all pockets.
    The fact that it looks and feels so similar to Xtreme is a huge plus for newcomers (we all know how easy Xara apps are to learn) and a bonus for long term Xtreme users who can jump right into familiar territory.
    IP

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hows that idea feel to some folks??
    Hi Richard - Great to see you posting again. Hope all is well with you.

In an earlier thread I had a request regarding having Xara-WD & Xtreme work together more seamlessly. You can find the thread here: http://talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=37055

Regards, Ross
    IP