Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've worked on this on and off for weeks. I just can't get people down. The details have to be so perfect that I can't get them right no matter how many adjustments I make. Hair is too much work, too.
    ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marilynlayback.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	19947  
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I've worked on this on and off for weeks. I just can't get people down. The details have to be so perfect that I can't get them right no matter how many adjustments I make. Hair is too much work, too.
    ron

Xara's Facebook

Hi knightedduke
    Very nice work!!!!
    Don´t give up!!! Don´t forget you are trying to accomplish one of the most complicated vector works that can be made: the human figure.I wish i can go for such complicated works...
    Besides that it seems you are very very close to master it.
    I can identify that expression on her face Very nice! Thumbs up!
    I almost can feel your frustation with the hair part. I never tried it before but it seems very complicated to achieve the correct look. I´m sure there´s should be some good techniques for that. I´ve already seen some good works on the subject.

Good luck and keep updating the image

Regards,
    Miguel

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Ron,

Youare gonna make Richard start panting here...

The heck with Richard. She looks good enough to eat right now... Now give us the rest of the portrait...

sheesh, I am such a vert...

to old to be a "pre-vert"
    John/DOT

OH MY GODDESS!! I bow before you. Your effort is wonderful. You are my God (kidding but we all want to hear that at least once in our life time! )

The hair issue should be easier than you are making it. Try this. Make a blob for the shape of the hair for the bottom layer, then build the other blob shapes for the highligthts and low-lights. Then take your tablet and stylus and choose a .05 pt line width and a Cigar line shape and draw in the individual hairs to create depth and realism over the shaped blobs created for depth and highlighted areas of the hairdo. You don't have to go hog wild and cover all the hair blob shapes, on the contrary you want parts of the highlight and low-light shapes base color to peer out from behind, adds depth. Then take and group the hair strands (you might want to do this whole process in layers so you can make the main hair blobs non editable while drawing in the individual strands) and apply a 4 point fill and choose white, yellow, gold and maybe white or yellow again and adjust the 'box' so it's how you want it so you are creating more depth and realism.

I guess being a hair dresser makes the 'vision' easier than it sounds but in drawing humans and animals the hair is pretty important (eye lashes, eye brows, facial hair and any other hair) There are many techniques but this one seems the best for this sort of multi dimentional effect you are going for.

The facial expression is just perfect but there is something not quite right about the nose or maybe I see an angular shadow on the left side of her face that should be a bit softer.... not sure, can't figure it out. I know the "pose" and the "look" but I need a picture to see. You got the original Ron??

Don't give up, it's worth it and Marilyn thanks you with a big kiss on the cheek and purrrring greatfully in your ear.......
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Looking good Ron!

Don't stop now ... you're almost there. Amazing!

Here's the wireframe. I thickened all the lines in order for you to be able to see them all clearly.
    ron

Name:	marilynlaybackwireframe.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	9396  

Xara's Facebook

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Durn Ron,

How come there are parts showing in the wireframe that do not correspond to the drawing. Is that that durn unwanted modesty filter again?
    John/DOT

Actual photo drawing was done from.
    ron

Name:	marilynlaybackphoto.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	11650  

Xara's Facebook

Yup hair can be a real problem some times Ron. In this case it looks like well formed cotton candy and that can be a challenge to give it JUST the right look, to appear as over processed, set and styled hair, so you did well, I think!!

Thanks for posting the original, that tells me a bit more. I really do think this is a wonderful rendition of the Goddess of Beauty so if I were you I'd keep going with developing your skills in drawing humans. You got the knack!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---