Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default [Request] Softgroup Editing in Xara Xtreme...

Just a thought (ouch)...

Imagine if you could right click on a soft group like the 'slide' graphic on the photography template and choose to 'Edit Soft Group in Xtreme...'. Choosing the option would launch Xtreme or Xtreme Pro with the softgroup. In Xtreme you could then edit the graphics as you saw fit. I'd add a bevel to the slide frame & perhaps some embossed lettering. When done some sort of 'save & return to Xara-WD' function would complete the round trip. In Xara-WD your Soft Group would be updated.

I suppose what I'm hoping is the potential for streamlined workflow between Xtreme and Xara-WD.

Regards, Ross
    IP

Default Re: [Request] Softgroup Editing in Xara Xtreme...

Would love this sort of integration as an option as well, but you have to admit, Xara did a pretty nice job with the paste, where it recognizes something copied from an Xtreme doc as such, not just a bitmap, so it's still editable to a degree for things like rotation, color, etc.

I was even able to create fully justified text in Xtreme, copy it, paste it to XWD, where it came in as a text object, and have it appear fully justified in the generated website - producing a warning on the way to the preview, but working. It may not work for really long stuff or whatever, but if you have some elements that need to be justified but don't want to resort to converting to graphic first, this option may work.

I just did a little experimenting with both apps open across two monitors (for simplicity). I created a box in XWD, copied/pasted in Xtreme, changed bevels, copied/pasted back, added shadow in XWD, copied/pasted back to make a blend of 5 of the object in Xtreme, copied/pasted back to XWD and even a blend is still not only resizable/rotatable, etc, but if you change one of the end shapes, it even modifies the created blend. The engine is obviously behind there working; it's the facility to create these objects that's missing.

I know this doesn't answer to softgroups and some of the other layer features, and I'd still welcome some more integration heartily, but I applaud them for making it so accessible as it is.
    IP

I think this a clever and very useful suggestion.

I wish, in general, it was easier editing grouped objects, especially those with multiple attributes (ie., a bevel and a dropshadow). Often times you have to remove a drop shadow before can edit the objects in a group and the taskbar does not give helpful until the dropshadow is removed.
    IP

Ross wouldn't your request require users of WD to also buy Xtreme? What would happen if they envoked that option and do not have Xtreme?

I suppose a future version installer for WD could check for existance of Xtreme and enable the option if it is found. But what if Xtreme is installed after WD, would a registry tweak be needed to enable the function?

I'm not trying to rain on your idea, just thinking outloud with my fingers on the keyboard.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

My guess is that the new release of Xara Xtreme 5 might very well have all of website creation capabilities of Web Designer 5 (replacing xWD, for those who choose to invest in greater power). I expect that my $29 purchase of xWD will simply allow me to progressively develop through that period.
    Last edited by cursor; 19 March 2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: clarity: fixed grammar, deleted word
    IP

Ross is this not a prime request in "Dear Xara"? that is where I would have gone with this one.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP