Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: How do you insert tables on webpages?

Ah, I see (and apologize for this). I thought your comment was also referring to the idea from gbpatriot, to use a hardcopy of a table or the pointer from richinri, that any text grouped within XWD would be exported as images instead of text. Therefore my comment that such a image (with the need to set the ALT attribute to a indexable text) can't be a proper solution for the question, how to insert tables on webpages with Xara Web Designer.

I've talked about HTML tables, reasonably formatted with CSS and also printable in high quality.
    Drawing a table would mean, only a image of a table would be available and I'm not sure how often such a graphical representation would be really needed.

If the content of a table should be indexed by Google or not depends more on the content of that table. If a table contains important text besides numbers, then this table is certainly worth to be indexed.

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 26 March 2009 at 02:22 AM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    If it's a table drawn in WD with numbers entered into each cell, why do you want this indexed by Google?
    Well, nevertheless, table created by the Xhris' method will be fully indexed by Google.
    John.
    IP

Drawing a table would mean, only a image of a table would be available and I'm not sure how often such a graphical representation would be really needed.
    You could, however, assign the atl attr to "Excel Table" or similar and then link the graphical representation to the actual excel file for the visitor to do with as they please. This picture could be updated by the site owner/designer on a periodic basis as a "snapshot in time" with the actual excel maybe being updated for often for download and analysis.

Just a thought to get the best of both worlds without screwing either your code or your design.

On a somewhat related note (though not connected to tables):
    I did a little experimentation with covoxer's scrollable div solution instaed of the iframe option and came up with this simple example. Given to a client, they could simply update the part of the page that has the <h1>, <h2>, and <p> tags with their new content. It's not as elegant as a real DB based app, but for some this "psuedo blog" would be enough. Note: content is just a tream of conciousness, not an actual blog posting

This page passes the w3c markup as well, for what it's worth.
    http://www.technicalrs.com/testing123
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by slavelle View Post
    On a somewhat related note (though not connected to tables):
    I did a little experimentation with covoxer's scrollable div solution instaed of the iframe option and came up with this simple example. Given to a client, they could simply update the part of the page that has the <h1>, <h2>, and <p> tags with their new content. It's not as elegant as a real DB based app, but for some this "psuedo blog" would be enough. Note: content is just a tream of conciousness, not an actual blog posting
    This page passes the w3c markup as well, for what it's worth.
    http://www.technicalrs.com/testing123
    Yes. You can even get it without scrollers and still allow users to edit content. The method is described here: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...2&postcount=16
    You can simply insert user updatable area (as is in your test site) instead of the php code. The page will adjust its height based on the size of whatever is inserted there by user.
    John.
    IP

I haven't tested it in different browsers, but yes, this could be a valid workaround, in order to overcome the current limitations.

I'm not sure if I would use this, but this is more because I have already a great working solution for flexible layouts (and yes, I know, I'm not your target group). Nevertheless my hope is, that we will see an alternative export mode (without absolute positioning of content elements) in some months.

Remi

------------------------
    Disclaimer 1:
    I don't use Xara Web Designer, therefore it could be, that my answer may not consider the current features of Xara Web Designer.

Disclaimer 2 (necessary these days):
    I'm not implying anything I haven't said.
    IP