Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Message

Default Error Message

Whenever I open a .web file -- be it by clicking a link on this website or by double-clicking on a locally stored copy -- I get an error message: "Windows cannot find 'path/filename.web'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again etc. etc."

The funny thing is that the file actually loads w/o any problems and I only have to close the error message window. So, it's only an inconvenience, but increasingly an annoying one. I do not get any such messages with other files (including .xar). I am using XP Home SP3, fully updated.
    IP

Default Re: Error Message

How many files do you have set for your recently used list?

The error is triggered by opening rather than saving a .web from this site. I usually save to my hard drive before opening.

When you open from the site the file is stored in your temporary internet files folder and it disappears when you close the file. The recently used file list will show the file but it no longer exists at that location, this triggers the error message.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

No, I don't use the recently used list. I open the .web files directly by using the attachment links on this site or by double-clicking the .web files on my computer. In both cases the files load w/o any problem, but each time I get this annoying error message (when, actually, there is no error). This only happens with .web files, not with .xar files. Any thoughts on how to remedy this?
    IP

Sorry I confused you. I often have hunderds of thoughts occurring at the same time and they sometimes get mixed in my replies.

The error is due to opening the file from the web and the temp file is in a folder that will modify the filename. Between the time the file is placed in the temp folder and the program accesses it the name is often modified and the error pops up but the program already has a handle to the file and it opens.

Confusing but is a by product of opening from the web. It is a quirk of Windows.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Sorry I confused you. I often have hunderds of thoughts occurring at the same time and they sometimes get mixed in my replies.
    Don't worry, it's amazing how you guys keep up with all the posts!

The error is due to opening the file from the web and the temp file is in a folder that will modify the filename. Between the time the file is placed in the temp folder and the program accesses it the name is often modified and the error pops up but the program already has a handle to the file and it opens.

Confusing but is a by product of opening from the web. It is a quirk of Windows.
    But the problems also occurs with .web files that are placed on my HDD (and it does not occur with the .xar files). The error messages, in these cases, then say that it cannot find the file at "D:\Xara Web Designer\WEBs\<filename.web" (this the location where I save my .web files). However, the file is there and it does load.
    IP

When the error occurs with a local file a reboot has cleared up the error on my machine. Have you rebooted? Does the error still occur?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

When the error occurs with a local file a reboot has cleared up the error on my machine. Have you rebooted? Does the error still occur?
    Yes it does.
    IP

I'm just making guesses at this point. I never did find what caused a similar problem on my machine with .xar files a few years ago. The problem disappeared before I tracked down a cause.

You could look to see if Web Designer is looking for the .web file type associated with another program.

If you are comfortable using Regedit you can look at the values in the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesigner\5.0\Op tions\CheckAssociations

A value of 1 indicates the program will look to see if .web as assigned to Web Designer, a value of 0 indicates no check will be performed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Both .web and .xar have values set to 1 under that key.
    IP

OK that is the default.

Sorry I cannot suggest anything else. As I mentioned before the problem cured itself on my system a few years ago.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP