Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default previewing site in IE or Firefox

Is there anyway to preview a site in a browser? When I use the Web designer previewer the graphics all go a bit weird, so I would like to test it in a proper browser.
    IP

Default Re: previewing site in IE or Firefox

There's no way to select a browser for previewing straight from WD at this time, you'll need to export it then open the index.html in the required browser (like I do
    IP

If you export (use the Export button on the top bar), then after this the Preview button always updates the exported files at that location. So this means it's very easy to preview in any browser. Do an Export, then just drag the .htm file onto your browser of choice. Now each time you want to preview again, just click the Preview button, followed by an F5 in your browser (which does a browser refresh of the exported files).
    IP

Great Tip Charles!
    IP

Smile Re: previewing site in IE or Firefox

Hi - This may sound really stupid, but I'm not brilliant with all this technical stuff. I exported the file to a location. Then opened my browser and dragged the files over from the file location in 'my computer'. The browser then displayed 'index of files' and a list of all the file components, not the actual web site design. The next time I do preview site in Web Designer, it just opens in the same old xara preview window, not in my browser. Could anyone explain it to me in stupid language? (-:
    IP

The next time I do preview site in Web Designer, it just opens in the same old xara preview window, not in my browser.
    The 'preview' window in WD never opens your preferred browser, only the WD preview window (A Lite internal version of IE).
    IP

Hi Stuart, when Web Designer exports a .web file it creates a new sub-folder to hold all the graphics and script files a browser reads to display your web pages. It sounds like you pulled this sub-folder, which has a similar name to the [your file].htm file - by default called 'index.htm' - that you need to drag to your browser window.
    The file you want should be further down in the list shown in the My Computer window and will be the file name you exported your web pages to with simply the .htm file extension, ei. "index.htm"

Hope that helps - I find after I've been using a computer for several years that I tend to forget how exactly I do things because it has become automatic, and there are several ways to do the same thing and each person develops their own preferences, so explanations can vary a lot from one 'expert' to the next .

Randy
    IP