Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware??

Default Spyware??

Apparently "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Web Designer\UNZDLL.DLL" is spyware according to ZoneAlarm! (Win32.Adware.Starr)

Is it? Or has something else infected it? Or is it a false alarm?!
    IP

Default Re: Spyware??

That file on my system is 92 KB. If your is the same then I would say you have a false alarm.

If it is larger then you have an infected file.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Done a full scan today with AVG 8 (full version) which didn't react to that file.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Many anti-virus programs flag any program that communicates with the Internet in the background which is how most contemporary software applications check for updates.

You may need to add Webdesigner.exe to your list of trusted applications. That is if you think you can trust Xara.
    IP

UNZDLL.DLL is a part of Delphi ZipMaster package used to compress/decompress .xar / .web files when saved and then expand when loaded in WD.

It's a common package used by many applications over the years.

Some viruses are written to use common headers an an to attempt to trick AV software into allowing them to execute, this can however lead some legit files being falsely flagged.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Many anti-virus programs flag any program that communicates with the Internet in the background which is how most contemporary software applications check for updates. You may need to add Webdesigner.exe to your list of trusted applications.
    I think you're referring to a firewall, but I was referring to a spyware scan.
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Spyware??

Done a full scan with Mcaffee and no problem here either

Carrot
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by xarb View Post
    I think you're referring to a firewall, but I was referring to a spyware scan.
    Not necessarily. That behavior is checked by many anti-malware programs, and they should provide means for tagging a file to be trusted (or otherwise). What specific program gave you this alert? Full scans of my system (with WD installed and recently upgraded) using SpyBot and AVG8 show nothing untoward. As was noted above, it would seem either your particular scanning program has an issue with this file, or yours has somehow become infected through another agency.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com
    IP

Hmmm....Scanning the file with SpyBot returns "Iopus"; defined as a Keylogger.?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sb scan.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	57698  
    ~Fred
    IP

ah - well heuristics - that's basically educated guesswork... it certainly will not be right every time....

my Panda Av reported the file clean

incidently Bill, on my disc the file is 116 KB.....[NTFS-XPhome - XWD trial version]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP