Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Registered users' area

How, using xWD can I restrict access to a subset of pages for a website? It seems to me that this should be a common requirement/need. Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Registered users' area

That would be more a function of your server and not the pages themselves.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

You can protect files or a folder with a password by creating a unique .htaccess file which you upload to the site root.

Dynamic Drive have a free htaccess generator where you can create exactly what you need.
    As Bill say's, this is not something which is part of the page. So WD cannot do this for you.
    IP

Thanks. I'll have to figure out exactly what that means. (And I will. )
    IP

Some host providers offer nice tools for making this process easier. If your host gives you a cpanel-type interface to your account look for a related feature in your user menus (mine is called "password protect folders"). Just select the folder you want protected, and it prompts you for the user id and password to access it. The server software creates the .htaccess file and drops it into place for you. You can do this from a shell prompt, and there are help pages out there to show you how, if you don't have cpanel. It's not too terribly difficult, you just have to do some typing of arcane *nix commands and make sure you don't make any typos (this is all assuming your host doesn't use Windows-based servers).

Note you cannot add this protection to specific pages, only to folders. You'll have to move the controlled pages into their own folder(s).
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com
    IP

That fact that the security deals with whole folders makes sense. It would be best, then, to design the site(s) with that thought in mind.

I do have cpanel control. I'll do some reading on the subject, then check with my host.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    That fact that the security deals with whole folders makes sense.
    The other option is to control access through authentication via server side scripting such as .php or .asp, but that is also well outside the domain of XWD...

And as noted, .htaccess applies to linux/appache web servers, not Windows based.
    IP