Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Resizing text in browser on XWD website

I've built a pair of simple websites while trying to get up to speed on XWD, and I really like it. In playing with the completed sites (on local drive, not published to server yet), I find that when I use the Ctrl+ with Firefox to bring the text up one size from what I've designed, things run off the right edges of the columns and even off the page.

That would seem to make it hard for the viewer of a website to see it properly represented if they increase the text size. I haven't yet tried it with IE, but suspect I'll see the same thing.

Not complaints, just needing to understand so I don't paint myself into a corner. Many years of automatic wrap & flow with plain old hand-coded HTML, so am old dog learning new tricks.

Default Re: Resizing text in browser on XWD website

Hi Ken,

IE7/IE8/FF3/Opera all zoom/enlarge proportionately, including the images etc.
    Only Chrome and Safari don't as yet - but this is coming soon. So there really shouldn't be a problem.

Check the Xara webdesigner pages here:
    http://webdesigner.xara.com/index.htm
    In my FF3 everything zooms/enlarges proportionately.

Maybe you could attach your .web file ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Anderson View Post
    ...bring the text up one size from what I've designed, things run off the right edges of the columns and even off the page.
    I have encountered a problem similar to Ken's. A segment of text pasted onto the right side of a page looks great in XWD, but runs off the side in the browser. I have tried various alternatives:

1. Dragging a text panel onto the page, then substituting new text, resized,
    2. Creating a text box with the T tool, then pasting in resizing text (no text panel), and
    3. Simply typing text onto the page (no text panel).

The error appears in XWD's browser, Google Chrome and IE.

Here's a screen cap of the error using the text panel:

http://www.pixentral.com/hosted/16YK...EIx1_thumb.gif
    Last edited by OldRadioGuy; 16 March 2009 at 02:08 AM. Reason: attachments do not appear

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.

ORG, please attach your .web file thanks.

Playing around a bit more with resizing text, it seems that with IE the text resizing has no effect ... page displays as designed. With Firefox 2.0, if I use Ctrl+ to increase size, the same effect shown in previous reply, where the text enlarges and runs off side of page, occurs as described. I'm going to attach the .web file that I'm working on ...

BTW, I know there's a newer version of Firefox, but unless they've provided an option to have the history droplist work as it did in V.2, I don't want to install it. Did that a few months ago, and uninstalled it after fighting with the history list. I use that tool extensively to find websites (including a lot of developmental ones on my C: drive). The new toolbar gives so much information, and takes several lines for each entry to do it, that I have to scroll down almost all the time to find frequently used sites, and that's intolerable.

So ... if XWD-generated sites behave in Firefox V.3, I guess I'll have to assume they'll be OK for users. Otherwise, I'll have to design sites with a LOT of room on the right side of the pages for "expansion."

Ken
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ken, your site is 100% fine in FF3.0.7 (the most recent) http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenadners.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	57591  

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    ORG, please attach your .web file thanks.
    Sledger, I already have multiple-page prototypes with numerous graphics and the .web file is almost 3 megs, probably too large to upload.

I did solve the text overrun by using a text box underneath and grouping the text to that box. I don't know why yet, but it works. I looked at layers for the file -- I have 13 of them -- turning them on and off, observing any differences among the pages, but identified no problems there.

If I get a little more time, I'll try to copy the problem page to a new .web file and post that.

Thanks for your help.

Xara Designer Pro X10; PaintShop Pro X7; Perfect Photo Suite 8; DxO Optics Pro 9.5; Olympus OM-5 E-M5; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3770; 16 GB RAM; AMD Radeon HD 7770.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRadioGuy View Post
    I did solve the text overrun by using a text box underneath and grouping the text to that box. I don't know why yet, but it works.
    Grouped text is exported a s bitmap. That's why it works.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRadioGuy View Post
    the .web file is almost 3 megs, probably too large to upload.
    Nope - that's fine.

Here is the .web file of the page with the text overrun to the right. Since my last reply I ungrouped the text and sent it to another layer, but that did not solve the problem either.

So, take a look.

(I observed the overrun in Google Chrome, IE7 and in XWD's browser.)

Thanks.

OldRadioGuy
    Attached Files Attached Files