Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question BUG in drag & drop pictures ?

Hello,

I have XARA Web designer 5.0.0.7770 DL

I am experiencing a strange behaviour.
    I have a page with two images (the same that was cloned). We call them Image1 and image2

- I get Explorer, and drag and drop a JPG file over image 2. The image2 picture is replace by the one I dragged & dropped.
    - less than 1 second later ALSO the image1 bitmap is replaced with the same image.

You can drag & drop as you like either on 1 or 2 and both the images become equals like they have something that make them twins.

If you continue to play, after some other drag and drop the magic ends, and what you drop on image1 or 2 stays just there.

- Is it a BUG ?

I attached the sample file.

Cheers

antimix
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: BUG in drag & drop pictures ?

less than 1 second later ALSO the image1 bitmap is replaced with the same image
    Yes, this is normal and intended behavior. Replacing one bitmap will always update it's duplicates.

If you continue to play, after some other drag and drop the magic ends, and what you drop on image1 or 2 stays just there.

- Is it a BUG ?
    If you optimize (for example) one of the duplicates, then this becomes a unique (new) image, so replacing it or one of the other duplicates no longer replaces the other/s.
    IP

ctrl+drag will update only one instance of this object

Hans
    IP

Ctrl+Drag from the bitmap gallery (onto a photo) places a new instance on the page, Shift+drag onto a photo updates it and it's duplicates.

Same effect from an explorer window.

Please explain your method??
    IP

add object to stage>drage&drop fill to it>ctrl+k(clone) reposition object>
    ctrl+drag new fill to either object.
    Only this object get's the new fill right away

Hans
    IP

Yes Hans, but the discussion wasn't about the fill gallery.
    IP

You are right,from explorer it doesn't
    Strange thing though,it show's two sort of clipped pictures instead??

Hans
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    You are right,from explorer it doesn't
    Neither from the bitmap gallery.
    The fills gallery acts similarly to the the colour line (another type of fill I suppose) where you can ctrl+Drag to the page background.

Strange thing though,it show's two sort of clipped pictures instead??
    Can you take a screen shot? I only see one object and the status line confirms this.
    IP

Wink Re: BUG in drag & drop pictures ?

Ahhh,

i will add another thing i noticed:

Ctrl-D on the first picture in the sample file and you will have 3 pictures.

- When you drag&drop from the clip library an image on any of the 3 pict all the remaning pictures will become the same.
    - if you CTRL-drag&drop on any of the 3 picture a different image, only THAT picture will be changed. From now ahead you can simply drag&drop (no CTRL) on this picture without change the other two. You have an apparent break of the link.
    - The other two stay linked and you can continue to drag&drop pictures.
    - You can CTRL-Drag&drop different pictures on the other 2 until you have 3 complete different & indipendent pictures (once one is different you can avoid to press CTRL during drag&drop)

ATTENTION: XARA knows they are originally the same thing, so, AS SOON AS YOU PUT THE SAME PICTURE IN AT LEAST 2 PICTURES, THEY REVERT TO LINKED, and simple dropping a picture on any of them, automatically update the other !!!

That is nice!

However, I have a question:

- is there any sign/flag/highlite/caption... that shows on the status bar that a specific picture is linked to a specific one other ?

This because in complex sites may be easy to go out of control, and not be able to know any more what is a stand-alone picture and what is linked to another!

Cheers

Roberto
    IP

"complex sites may be easy to go out of control, and not be able to know any more what is a stand-alone picture and what is linked to another!"

Valid point.
    IP